How important are good monitors

The only thing that puts me off really is the sub woofers only being 6" and the frequency response being 49hz.

I know the krk rp8 is only 49hz too but they have the 8" sub, so wouldn’t that be better for the low ends?

[quote]jjdejong0 (08/11/2010)[hr] Hey ICN i take it i have to buy 2 sets of those pads or does one set give you pads for 2 monitors, it wasnt really explained on the site.[/quote]

I had the same head-scratching moment Mate! :slight_smile:

All good. 2 in a Pack. One for each monitor.

Thats awesome im on the order mate really wana see how it helps the low end! Also those KRK headphones look awesome i have ***** annoying as **** i wana shoot them in the face neighbours so those headphones will be awesome in the aid of some late night mixdowns!

It all depends Roben, the perception of sounds and different frequencies is such a mystical, intricate and complicated thing. You really need to sort your room out first i think, then look at the size of the room and then look at what monitors to get. Basicly a set of monitors with a 6" woofer in a small room will be better for your low perception than 8" woofer where the bass will be reflected all over the show. If you really want to get your room as flat as possible i would reccomend firstly as said before making some of those pads that is on the tutorial and mabey then trying something like the KRK Ergo system or whatever its called. Also every room is different and after a while your ears will learn the acoustics of your room and your monitors. So after a while you just instinctively know how a mix ‘should’ sound on your setup, something to help you with this is to just simply listen to some commercial tracks and see how they sound on your monitors and in your room and compare it to your own tracks and how they sound on your monitors and in your room :slight_smile: I have to be honest tho the KRK RP6es have been one of the best purchases ive made they are simply awesome and instantly boosted the quality of my mixdowns.

I got those pads ordered so it will be really interesting to see how much difference they make its insane that a bit of foam can have such a huge impact on an overall sound.

How do you have your monitors set up @ the moment Jan?

Vertically just the normal way i think. Tweeter on top sub below. I got taught the only monitor you should ever put horizontally is the Yamaha Ns-10 so i follow that rule lol.

Sorry, should have phrased my question a bit better… How do you have them set up?

Are they on a desk - on their boxes - at ear level - at the right distance etc…

or are they in a less than ideal setup?

I used to have a set of Bose Speakers for my decks (totally unsuitable for MP). The way my room was, I had them on a couple of chairs, a stop gap which lasted for about 2 years. Less than ideal. You’ll get the very best out of them if you give them as much of the space, positioning & distance that they need, as you possibly can.

No i have them set up pretty ideally nice at ear height in a like triangle formation with my ears.

Cool - you should hopefully hear the difference.

What’s your room like - Small? Big? Corner of sitting room? Boomy / Good?

Mine is essentially a Box shape. 3 x 3. So, there are issues there.

Hope they make a difference to ya

[quote]ICN (09/11/2010)[hr]Cool - you should hopefully hear the difference.

What’s your room like - Small? Big? Corner of sitting room? Boomy / Good?

Mine is essentially a Box shape. 3 x 3. So, there are issues there.

Hope they make a difference to ya[/quote]

I’m using the foam that came in the packageing as I got mine 2nd hand (no warranty) I just cut it up, got the glue out etc and I’m in a 3x3, maybe a little bigger box room with no bloody door (need to get that sorted) but was thinking of getting mopads, do you think it will benefit me?

Can only speak for myself. Similar room Wayne. So should be similar benefit.

My walls are concrete block. Its effectively soundproofed to a degree… better than Stud walls - but it probably causes problems.

Room is a lot better… or at least in my listening position. Maybe thats what I should get across. The Boom is gone when you are in your chair. Lower layers are more defined.

Go for those T Akustik ones from Thomann that I was telling Jan about. Wait until he gets them, just so you have a 2nd opinion. I find them excellent. They’re cheaper. About 1/2 price - and they HAVE to do the same job.

Need to get a ****ing door Mate. Sort it out! :D. 

When my door is open, its like I’ve got an echo chamber in my left ear. :w00t:

Its very off-putting. Must be annoying. Being in Scotland, do you ever get people pi$$ing in the door when you’re producing? :hehe:

Cheers,

J

I got a pretty ideal room tbh. A small box and it has stuff like carpet, a rug and a big couch to help soak up alot of sound and as far as i know the walls are concrete and plaster boarded.

Just got my ISO pads in and tbh they are a welcome addition. It reallyclears up your low end and has pointed out to me that my low ends are pretty **** and im **** at sorting out a low end lol, but thats a good thing and is alot easier now to listen and shape it out. Crazy what difference a bit of foam makes even though the rp6 come with a sheet of rubber on the bottom these pads still help alot its gonna take a bit of getting used to tho lol.

[quote]ICN (07/11/2010)[hr]I’m off to Bed.

KRK’s = (H x W x D) (32.1cm x 22.5cm x 26.6cm)

THE T.AKUSTIK ISO-PAD 5 = 300 x 40 x 170mm

Your monitors would be 1 + a bit centimeters over each side of the Pad. That’s grand.

[url]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_takustik_isopad.htm[/url]

[/quote]

Would it not be better to go for the pad 6 then?

Know of any UK based suppliers? They’re trying to charge £10 just for shipping!

Cool!

Glad you think they’re grand Jan. Always feel a bit of a cnut recommending stuff in case people dont think its good when they try it themselves.

Totally. Makes a huge difference. So cheap too. 100% agree with you about the “getting used to it thing”. Same as… You get so used to the Boom, you use it like a safety net. Listen to lots of tracks that you rate to get an idea. Having a ghost track in your project to A/B is a must.

Long live Foam!!

Enjoy :slight_smile:

[quote]jjdejong0 (10/11/2010)[hr]Just got my ISO pads in and tbh they are a welcome addition. It reallyclears up your low end and has pointed out to me that my low ends are pretty **** and im **** at sorting out a low end lol, but thats a good thing and is alot easier now to listen and shape it out. Crazy what difference a bit of foam makes even though the rp6 come with a sheet of rubber on the bottom these pads still help alot its gonna take a bit of getting used to tho lol.[/quote]

Ask Jan Rob… He’s got them.

I reckon you are talking about a centimeter sticking out either side.

You know what a centimeter is Rob, dont you?

Yeah… Twice the length of your willy.

You’d hardly notice it :P ;) :hehe:

[quote]Roben (10/11/2010)[hr][quote]ICN (07/11/2010)[hr]I’m off to Bed.

KRK’s = (H x W x D) (32.1cm x 22.5cm x 26.6cm)

THE T.AKUSTIK ISO-PAD 5 = 300 x 40 x 170mm

Your monitors would be 1 + a bit centimeters over each side of the Pad. That’s grand.

[url]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_takustik_isopad.htm[/url]

[/quote]

Would it not be better to go for the pad 6 then?

Know of any UK based suppliers? They’re trying to charge £10 just for shipping![/quote]

duh i’m talking about the speaker sticking out by a centimeter over the pad, if that’s the case then surely the pad 6 which has bigger dimensions would combat this issue?

Stop trying to steer the conversation away from your small p3nis Rob :wink:

:smiley: