How Important is Genre ? Do we even know what it is?

Over the last few weeks i’ve been going through my mp3 collection after deciding to start up dj-ing again, after buying a shed load more and getting confused as to what goes where in my virtual box i decided to name the whole lot house and drop it into one folder :slight_smile: (job done)

so yesterday i have a friend over for a mix and he tells me i’ve done this all wrong ;), why have i got fidget in with electro and progressive, tech, minimal :w00t: , so i have a listen and can’t really tell the difference between most of what has been labeled tech house and tribal house, minimal house & minimal techno, fidget & electro. so i ask my friend to help sort them out (tongue in cheek kinda way) any way he starts by relabeling some to progressive house and i asked how he knew it was progressive house to which he replied “because its on a progressive House label” :ermm: LMAO and he totally missed my point that in this case if we put a hardhouse track out on a progressive label would it then be progressive house :cool: .

anyway am i the only person that thinks its all house so F@ck it.

also if anyone could post up a full description of the differences of house genres that would be great.

I totally agree with you Jon what is the point, I would say 90% of the punters you are playing in front off could not realy care less so long the tunes are good. But then again I am a pretty lazy git :stuck_out_tongue:

If it was me I think I would have a Tec House (Tec and minimal), House (old and uplifting), Hard Techno (old),DnB and Trance

[quote]slender (19/04/2010)[hr]I totally agree with you Jon what is the point, I would say 90% of the punters you are playing in front off could not realy care less so long the tunes are good. But then again I am a pretty lazy git :stuck_out_tongue:

If it was me I think I would have a Tec House (Tec and minimal), House (old and uplifting), Hard Techno (old),DnB and Trance[/quote]

i have the obvious separate like drum & bass, techno, house and trance but when i comes down to the house and sub genres i really struggle to know whats what lol they all borrow heavily from each other so sometimes it becomes hard to know where the tech house ends and the progressive begins LOL.

glad someone else feels the same as me, my friend looked at me like i had killed someone when i high lit the genre right clicked and renamed them all to house :wink:

i know some people get really anal about this sorta thing and i’ve know dj’s to have tracks sorted like house, tech house, funky tech house, deep funky tech house LMAO

my friend didn’t appreciate my jokes either :stuck_out_tongue:

do we have any really anal dj’s on this forum!!! lets hear your

To be honest it’s all a bunch of BS unnecessary pigeon holing. It is the EXACT reason why my radio show and podcast is called ‘Eclectic House’. Because in my show if it sounds good then it gets played, i’m not going to get anal about it.

In my view, it’s all sub genres and sub sub genres of HOUSE, so less caring about the title and care more on the sound, the feeling it gives you when you listen to it and the emotional attachment you make to that music.

I’m not going to get all hippy but music is a feeling, it’s not a title.

Anyways one persons techno is another persons tech house, you only have to look in the ‘HTSL’ forums to see people requesting ‘progressive trance’ and putting up links of Freemasons for example!?!

Your friend was wrong to re-label your tracks, just because a label is typically prog house it does not mean they ONLY release prog house. I’ve got all sorts of sounds from the same label, be it funky right down to tough tech.

Some labels do stick very analy to a particular sound but not all do. One of the promos i got last week was a beautifull progressive house track but they’ve never sent me any track before that was progressive.

“HOUSE IS A FEELING”

i have my own method to sort house and it helps me to know what i ve got and were pm jon

Yeah the genre thing is a double edged sword.

Artists shy away from it, I guess cos they think it is some sort of creative barrier or something, but at the end of the day you don’t need to take it that seriously.

The classic is Joey beltram (the Techno legend) who when he made Energy Flash just thought he was making House…

Aaaaaaanyway, when it comes to organising music, yeah the obvious non house genres aside, I tend to organise it more by mood or tempo.

I have a folder called “Bangers” one called “Deeper” etc, as that’s more relevant to me than the genre when DJing anyway

[quote]bangthedj (19/04/2010)[hr]Yeah the genre thing is a double edged sword.

Artists shy away from it, I guess cos they think it is some sort of creative barrier or something, but at the end of the day you don’t need to take it that seriously.

The classic is Joey beltram (the Techno legend) who when he made Energy Flash just thought he was making House…

Aaaaaaanyway, when it comes to organising music, yeah the obvious non house genres aside, I tend to organise it more by mood or tempo.

I have a folder called “Bangers” one called “Deeper” etc, as that’s more relevant to me than the genre when DJing anyway[/quote]

that was my way of thinking, in the comments section i have started putting notes like deep, moody, bass heavy, good groove as well as trying to sort out the art work and find the sleve to go with the track

I think youve got to take it back to the basics.

File your tracks as follow house, trance, techno etc.

I agree there are a lot of sub genres that sound pretty much the same - what does it really matter. Way back in the day you used to get dj’s who played a specific genre for example john digweed was always sort of progresive, sasha was once known as progresive. Having said that the progresive tracks that they used to play cant really be termed that now.

What im trying to say is that dj’s now a days dont just stick to one genre - they may play tech house, techno etc.

Anyway i was reading Computer music recently and it has a tutorial on how to make ‘Neo Trance’ now whats that all about.

New genres supposidly come and go but to me if you file in the main gatagories of drun and bass, techno, hard dance, trance etc anything that falls in between is a bit incedental.

[quote]mejaques_uk@hotmail.com (19/04/2010)[hr]

Anyway i was reading Computer music recently and it has a tutorial on how to make ‘Neo Trance’ now whats that all about.

[/quote]

- YouTube

To my ear it does not sound that different to Tec House

heres a tip.........

forget about the term genre.... it actually bugs me to be honest how people brand you as a dj with a particular genre .....

id normally have a certain type of beat or sound in mind for the particular venue i play at.....
so if its a venue i have played before il have a certain vibe/collection of tracks ready for this place which may jump anywhere from old school house to hip hop and on to techno

and in another place i may go from hip hop to fidget and electro......

so i suppose when putting a name to a type of track i just downloaded id normally keep it in a folder with the name of the venue not its "genre" at all.

I think someone just told us the king hasn’t got any clothes on !

Ive been having the same thought about remixes. Ive been doing some remix competitions as a way of practising what I have learned and am torn between the desire to do exactly what feels good to me or trying to stick to a specific genre.

To be honest, I haven’t felt my remixes have been good enough to sent in, but wonder to those entries which stick to specific genre formats (and therefore maybe more easily picked up by DJs ) stand more chance of winning than those entries which are more “free form” ?

thanks for the input guys

For my “DJ crate” i just stick in the tunes that have similar sounding elements but you can break them down as much as you like really its all about personal choice and to make searching easier in live situations. At the end of the day its all Dance Music as I see it and I just use a number system to help pick tunes for what ever time slot I am playing but then again im a noob haha

well we certainly know what it is and where it came from.

how Important it is?

… I couldn’t really tell ya that one.