How much Eq is to much EQ?

Lets say I go all the way down on the Eq for a low PAD sound and it sounds Good in the “MIX” but when I Solo the PAD sound it sounds FLAT and dry - IS this type of thing normal or is it time to try a new Sound ?

PS: this is my first post and I would like to say SUP ! I need alt of Help to better myself as a composer/producer and I hope this site teaches me new tricks and gives me pointers on my loops ----->

Dont be shy to Attack my mix or say your say its cool thats what im here for ( Learning )

Loop that needs TIPS ! I have a Vocal PAD that sounds sooo lush with that sound but I cant move on until I get this to open up ! :frowning:

[quote]Redemption (24/04/2010)[hr]Lets say I go all the way down on the Eq for a low PAD sound and it sounds Good in the “MIX” but when I Solo the PAD sound it sounds FLAT and dry- IS this type of thing normal or is it time to try a new Sound ?

PS: this is my first post and I would like to say SUP ! I need alt of Help to better myself as a composer/producer and I hope this site teaches me new tricks and gives me pointers on my loops ----->

Dont be shy to Attack my mix or say your say its cool thats what im here for ( Learning )

Loop that needs TIPS ! I have a Vocal PAD that sounds sooo lush with that sound but I cant move on until I get this to open up ! :frowning:[/quote]

Hi mate, welcome to the forum!

Good question, I was making a mistake of worrying how things sounded in solo too. It’s a utter nonsense of course as the point is to get the mix to sound good. For some reason it took me a long time to figure that one out :stuck_out_tongue:

So use solo to fix specific problems (say clicks in vocal, etc) but EQ instruments in the mix and if you need your instrument to be ‘big’ in a breakdown for example, make two versions.

Hope this helps…and btw we’re all here to learn :slight_smile:

Yeah like Seanl said, it’s the bigger picture that matters.

As you progress you’ll probably start rolling off lots of frequencies from many things, which can seem counter intuitive at the time. Thinning things out almost, seems wrong.

However most of the time you are just trimming off excess fat that you don’t need (it might already be somewhere else in the mix anyway).

Then you’ll notice all that ‘thinning’ has actually made your mix much better/fuller/dynamic and so on.

Keep cutting I say!

Hey thanks -:slight_smile: I can see how paying for a Site can pay off already ( Nice People on here so far ) “So i must Cut the Fat” - your track is you and the Eq is your fitness trainer that keeps you in shape ! Then a Girl walks by a notices how Good you look “IE” The Mix and says “MMm I like that”

haha :stuck_out_tongue:

[center]how heavy should a KICK be ( Im looking at the PAZ analyzer ) and its hitting almost to ot the 0 And what is dose this mean - Say if you where to play back the Kick drum in a car sterio or Home sound system where would the volume be

-0-------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

-80[/center]