How to clear vocals for release

Hibr
br
Im currently working on a Funky house number with an accapella from the early 90’sbr
br
The band are no longer together - I’ve tried to contact the publishers, (Universal) the licence holders (Sony Music) even the original writers and performers - just hit brick walls even time br
br
I have been told that if i register the track with MCPS before release, 8% will go to the publishers and writers act… (which to me seems a little… well - seems too simple)… and ill probably get a call saying - see you in court where you will pay us lots of money br
br
What is the best way around this? i can have the vocals re sung - not a problem br
br
Any one experience in this area who can help?br
br
Thanks br
br
J

If you re-sing it and keep the original structure of the song the same you can call it a “cover” and you just pay publishing royalties.br
br

ok great! - so am i correct in saying that when it is registered with MCPS thats what the 8% is for?br
br
if not - what is the first few steps to take when the track is complete?br
br
Cheersbr
br
J

[quote]phil johnston (23/07/2014)[hr]If you re-sing it and keep the original structure of the song the same you can call it a “cover” and you just pay publishing royalties.br
br
[/quote]br
br
i have just had this from a publishing company…br
br
Hi Jaybr
br
Ok so this is the answer I got from an MPA colleague…br
br
“According to the PRS database it is published by Rode Ster (Red Star) music in the Netherlands.br
br
I can’t find anything about Rode Ster though.br
br
That’s about as much as we can help. If the person in question has exhausted all reasonable endeavours to locate the publisher and/or record label they can go ahead and use it, although they would have to accept the (albeit slim) possibility that the copyright owner may contact them in the future to refuse permission / negotiate a split or a fee”.br
br
So if you have exhausted every other possibility which it seems like you have, just keep all the correspondence showing that you have made a substantial effort to obtain permission then you should be fine. Hope that helpsbr
br
Good luckbr
Kind regardsbr
K