How to EQ layered synths for professional big sounding drops

I know they say you have to layer synths together to get that BIG full sound you hear in EDM, revealed recordings etc etc.br
br
But if you’ve got a main lead and it’s low cut at 100hz (standard)br
br
the other layers, even if they’re an octave up or down from the main one they’re still filling most of the spectrum so how do you make everything have its own space as is so often talked about? br
br
Presets on Sylenth etc have such a full spectrum just by themselves a lot of the time. Is it as simple as adding a layer with more low etc end and eqing it so only 150-350hz plays? And basically doing this all the way across with sounds you like. so 150-350 350-550 550-2k etc. Still, these are going to be in the same area as the main lead so I don’t see how this is giving it it’s own space?br
br
If anyone has any pictures of how they EQ’d their project or any advice/help that would be great and much appreciated. Thanks in advance! br
br
Jamiebr
br
Any help would be great and thanks in advance :smiley:

Layering is definitely essential to filling out the mix.br
br
I think if you get too micro-y (great word, right?) with your EQ-ing, you start to actually get some pretty weird sounding synths in your mix.br
br
I would focus more on stereo spectrum and diversity of synth sounds. You may also want to try automations on FX sends/returns or even trying to bus out to sidechained effects. These returns then become another “layer” in your mix.br
br
If your melodies are good and you’re using a good synth, then really I think it’s a matter of diversifying your synth choices. For instance, you may be trying for a HUGE lead sound. Focus less on the hugeness and more on the support for that lead. Less on the EQ-ing and more on using different sounding synths (not TOO different) to take on different parts of the harmony and then panning them about to taste.br
br
I’m sure you already know all of this, but hey, it’s fun to type, right!? ^_^br
br
If any of this is unclear, hit me up and I’d be glad to discuss more!br
br
Do you have links to your music? I’d love to check it out!

A good point above is the diversity of sounds you are trying to layer to get a full sound.br
But that will take some time to find, for instance, 3 different pads/strings that complement eachother nicely.br
br
Another thing to get to that result is by compressing and a bit of chorus.

Thanks for this :slight_smile: great advice!