How to get a synth to sound hugeee!

I’m working on a new track using Sylenth…and I want to make my main riff/sound HUGEE and I can’t figure out a way to just make the synth and notes HUGE and sound massive…

Is there a way to tweak the sound or a specific synth people use?

[quote]JaredBerkey (06/03/2012)[hr]I’m working on a new track using Sylenth…and I want to make my main riff/sound HUGEE and I can’t figure out a way to just make the synth and notes HUGE and sound massive…

Is there a way to tweak the sound or a specific synth people use?[/quote]

have you tried layering?

putting that lead in a low, mid and high freq might fill it out a bit. :slight_smile:

How do you do that?

[quote]JaredBerkey (08/03/2012)[hr]How do you do that?[/quote]

check out vid 15 in the peak time trance tut.

also check out vid 26 in vol. 3 of the tech tips. :slight_smile:

This is the million dollar question my friend!

I think its a case of trial and error. Try every possible thing u can think of

[quote]georgekadar (08/03/2012)[hr]This is the million dollar question my friend!

I think its a case of trial and error. Try every possible thing u can think of[/quote]

there is truth in this!!

no magic bullet!! try everything!:slight_smile:

yeah layering works well but i find it very har to get right… try using some of the chord effects if ur in ableton

in truth i think you can acheive by using the layering process but by also adding these techniques, i would automate the filters of all layer correspondingly to make youre sound initially clear but snaking from slightly quiter to slightly louder, i would use some distortion however not on all layer and in relation to amounts i would automate the signal again coresponding with the movement of the sound, you may find by notch eq all layers that u have more space between the frequency ranges in which would translate to the brain as more deatails, its not a wall of sound thats hits you sometimes its the details init case of less is more type thing,

On the layering

Are we suppose to EQ the higher harmonics to make room for every sounds funadmental or the opposite, that is to say EQ out the fundamentals of all but one of the sounds.

Also could you just Stack like 8 sounds and then bounce it down and just EQ the mids or any nasty freq out? I feel like maybe layering is a KISS (keep it simple stupid) thing that we/I over complicate sometimes

In the synthesis process itself it doesnt hurt to add a Sine Wave oscillator if you can get it in there… Just make sure you use your ears and reduce its amp so that it cant be heard but it can be felt (in terms of thickness). I find it can thicken up a sound by a lot.

Another thing that thickens a sound (note it also affects timbre significantly and therefore might not be desired) in the synthesis process itself is to detune two of the same oscillator/voices away from each other, in doing so it can really thicken up and widen a sound. Again do note this affects timbre a lot… It gives it a sort of Chorus’ish effect.

EDIT: About EQing try using shelves where possible instead of filters. Filters give the sound a less natural feel and makes it sound more synthetic whereas shelves dont and you can always duck it significantly via the shelf.

Dont over do the EQ either (this is a problem I always ALWAYS have) it really takes the natural out of a sound (its weird saying natural considering the fact that most sounds you probably will be using are from electronic synthesizers (IE unnatural) but I hope you get my point).

basically to make a sound huge, u gotta fill out all the harmonics. Check ur spectrum analyzer and see what synth layers hit where on the spectrum. Then do some eq’ing and compress them. Then group em and compress the whole thing slightly to gel them together. You want a bunch of thin sounds to make one big massive fatty boombalatty sound:w00t:

Massive like this?

Just a big reverb

Wow Phil, sounds super, really hugeeee!!!:smiley: