How to get promos! :)

My tips… I was sending out demos and put a bit about myself in the email including the fact I have a podcast and some of them sent me an email back, offers to sign or not (both) offering to add my email to there promo list, so now they will send me free tune before release!! Bonus!

Anyone know of any other ways to get free promos??

I get sent a fair amount cos I’ve done record reviews for websites like datatransmission.co.uk etc.

Mainly really dull minimal and tech house though sadly.

I normally shoot the PR person an email with a question about it, which is usually enough to get you on their list forever.

Blow Jobs.

I tried that, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth…

[quote]gofunk (06/10/2010)[hr]My tips… I was sending out demos and put a bit about myself in the email including the fact I have a podcast and some of them sent me an email back, offers to sign or not (both) offering to add my email to there promo list, so now they will send me free tune before release!! Bonus!

Anyone know of any other ways to get free promos??[/quote]

I get 100s every week, it becomes a bit hard to keep up with them all lol.

The best way to get promos is to be regularly DJing out and / or running a radio show / podcast.

Then you need to email your Top 20 chart every week to various labels, eventually over time you get more and more labels sending you shiz, even ones you’ve never originally sent any charts too, i think a lot of labels must share promo mailers or something.

Also try looking into Power and Hyperactive, although they tend to be a bit commercial most of the time you still get the odd few good stuff.

Oh and try music2mix / media2radio.

Good luck.

I get loads of messages like listen to my track, its really great and it’s gonna be massive. So generally speaking I don’t bother checking them out unless they are an established name (I know that’s bad) but it’s a matter of time. I just tend to go looking on stompy, traxsource and Beatport. If it’s good enough it will get signed so I let the A & R do most of the work for me I just have to listen to 30 seconds and buy, rather than trawling through 10 hours of promo’s a week when I could be producing my own stuff in that time.