How to make a dubstep song/remix

hey, im really stuck with trying to make dubstep and a resonably simple way to go about it. Musically i can go about it fine, but its the problem with effects and software, which to use and even how to use it… if u could suggest or even give a simple process, that would be great!

My soundcloud is http://soundcloud.com/sammills54

and im running a (win 7 x64) sony vaio.

im sure this has got to be a question among many people so any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

NI’s Massive and Limiters everywhere.

care to explan?

Depends on the dubstep you’re into. But the angry WAWAWAWA stuff I like, can all be done on NI’s Massive, using low keys and some of the more obscure wave selections. Find some dubstep presets on the Goog and pick them apart.

The limiters bit, everything is super loud in the AIYIYIYIYIYIYA dubstep, the easiest way I’ve found to achieve that is bus things such as drums together, then heavily limit them with a quick release.

the only thing i can say about dubstep…

is practice. practice. and then practice some more.

dubstep is pretty much the hardest style of music to make in the dance music world.

making sounds is not easy. i use massive + sylenth a lot.

limiters 4 sure.

[quote]UnitedVision (14/09/2011)[hr]the only thing i can say about dubstep…

dubstep is pretty much the hardest style of music to make in the dance music world.

limiters 4 sure.

[/quote]

I agree. but i still think Musically is the easiest one to compose.

not so much like house where the Musical part is strong but the processing is not as complicated as Dub step or Drum and Bass.

@spam

Check out some granular synth tutorials, those dirty as hell basslines which sound like people are frothing and going mental (not what people sound like when they listen to it but what the bass itself sounds like :P) its all granular synthesis…

Im trying to get my head around it myself but its bloody difficult…

That and as DFierce has said it is also essentially what synths like Massive can do… Using the “other” waveforms which produce cool sounds (use the bends on Massive also, can make those sounds even cooler) with LFO’s to give it that Wah Wah, Oi Oi, Yah Yah, blah blah sound…

@aline

Well that depends aline, some types of Dubstep are probably very difficult to compose…

Check out Gemini, his tracks sound a lot like Prog House/Trance to me but in Dubstep format with the dubstep drops and bass aswell as the snare and kicks being positioned where they are…

Gemini - Graduation: - YouTube

Same with Seventh Stitch -

Seventh Stitch - Tin Pear: - YouTube

Or Spor (same person as Seventh Stitch really :stuck_out_tongue: but I love gooch, best producer alongside the mau5 for me):

Spor - Pacifica: Spor - Pacifica - YouTube

Or Feed Me (officially a Gooch fanboy now :P) -

Feed Me - Strange Behaviour: - YouTube

I guess it depends on the style of dubstep your planning to make, if its that get all the guys dancing and grinding on each other which DISGUSTS me personally then no music is really needed, all you need is to make the dirtiest bass ever so check out Flux Pavillion - Bass Cannon for ideas (his ****test tune but for some reason everyones favourite, dont get me wrong some of his other tracks are awesome).

If you plan on making awesome Dubstep with actual musical elements then youve got the trouble of learning how to compose the music and produce the dubstep so your screwed…

[quote]MistroPain (15/09/2011)[hr]@spam

Check out some granular synth tutorials, those dirty as hell basslines which sound like people are frothing and going mental (not what people sound like when they listen to it but what the bass itself sounds like :P) its all granular synthesis…

Im trying to get my head around it myself but its bloody difficult…

That and as DFierce has said it is also essentially what synths like Massive can do… Using the “other” waveforms which produce cool sounds (use the bends on Massive also, can make those sounds even cooler) with LFO’s to give it that Wah Wah, Oi Oi, Yah Yah, blah blah sound…

@aline

Well that depends aline, some types of Dubstep are probably very difficult to compose…

Check out Gemini, his tracks sound a lot like Prog House/Trance to me but in Dubstep format with the dubstep drops and bass aswell as the snare and kicks being positioned where they are…

Gemini - Graduation: - YouTube

Same with Seventh Stitch -

Seventh Stitch - Tin Pear: - YouTube

Or Spor (same person as Seventh Stitch really :stuck_out_tongue: but I love gooch, best producer alongside the mau5 for me):

Spor - Pacifica: Spor - Pacifica - YouTube

Or Feed Me (officially a Gooch fanboy now :P) -

Feed Me - Strange Behaviour: - YouTube

I guess it depends on the style of dubstep your planning to make, if its that get all the guys dancing and grinding on each other which DISGUSTS me personally then no music is really needed, all you need is to make the dirtiest bass ever so check out Flux Pavillion - Bass Cannon for ideas (his ****test tune but for some reason everyones favourite, dont get me wrong some of his other tracks are awesome).

If you plan on making awesome Dubstep with actual musical elements then youve got the trouble of learning how to compose the music and produce the dubstep so your screwed…[/quote]

ohh me likey that dub step . i am just tired of that wonkey ravey basslines .

spore is really good :smiley:

[quote]alinenunez (15/09/2011)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (14/09/2011)[hr]the only thing i can say about dubstep…

limiters 4 sure.

[/quote]

I agree. but i still think Musically is the easiest one to compose.

not so much like house where the Musical part is strong but the processing is not as complicated as Dub step or Drum and Bass.

[/quote]

In reality… YES, it can be easy if you understand music theory… Get your chords in a nice 4 bar or 2 bar or 8 bar… and you got a dubstep track … in “theory”…

creating good sounds, is NOT easy. lots of practice for that… and working in 8th, 16th, & quarter bar segments is one of the most time consuming things ever. constantly zooming in all over the place… and the mixdown takes forever.

its simply just not an easy thing 2 make quality dubstep.

If I can add my two cents, it seems that the big mistake people make with dubstep, especially when going from house to dubstep, is that they forget the sub! Because low frequencies are hitting so much faster in house from the kick (128 vs. 70), having a powerful sub doesn’t matter as much. But in dubstep, without that grounding half note sub, the track sort of dies in between kick drums, and has a tendency to sound noisy rather than precise.

So what sort of processing is applied to a dubstep bassline?

Besides the already mentioned limiting because everytime I do one it always sounds so weak!

Using multi-track will help you to that!