How To Make - Big Room Techno with Christian Vance / 713

This tutorial could be better if this guy does not talks too much. He keeps on repeating the same thing over and over again. Good job anyways

interesting

1 Like

the drums tutorial isn’t very clear. Can’t seem to get the mapping for the EQ sweeps correct at all. Is the eq placed on the individual high/mid/low groups within the drum rack, or on the drum rack chain?

would have been much more helpful to show you making it from the start instead of half explaining an already finished set up.

Hi there @andyblehh90

This EQ eight device used to sweep frequencies is placed on the main 808 Group, after the Drum Rack itself and before the Drum Buss Effect. If you’re also using Live, you can download the Ableton Projects resources files ( and other resources too ) from the main tutorial page. There’s a matching Live Project for each part of the course, for this part, just load 09 - TECHNO - Drums.als with Live and you will see exactly how Christian crafted his Drum Rack & Fx.

1 Like

Thanks @Tekalight for the concise response.

Hi @andyblehh90 … thanks for the comment. Completely understand if you have not had a look inside the actual project. In other tutorials, where there have been more varied or diverse drum sounds used, I’ve gone into this aspect in a little more detail. The aim here was to show quickly that everything can be separated (if you want to add more drums or different drums) but as the actual track is quite utilitarian and does not rely on a vast variety of percussive sounds, I did not delve deeply into the actual crafting or construction of this. Hopefully if you open it up as @Tekalight has described it will become more evident. If not, please feel free to hit me up here! I take all comments on board. You’ll notice that someone even thinks I waffle on a bit too much… everyone will be needing different bits and pieces from the tutorial with different levels of detail. It’s great we have the forums to supplement that. Hope this has helped… and happy music making.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for both responses.

I’ll have a look in the projects later on and see if I can figure it out.

I was placing the EQ onto the drum rack itself but no matter where I put it, I couldn’t map it to the macros. It would only let me map effects within the individual HIGH,MID, LOW groups.

Apologies if my comment seemed short or unappreciative. I’m loving the tutorials and they’re a huge help. That comment was a moment of desperation at the end of a very frustrating 2 hours trying to get that EQ sweep set up haha

Again, I’m sure it will be clearer once I download the kit.

Thanks again for the effort!

2 Likes

@andyblehh90

No worries, was just trying to help and I was 200% sure that @cvance will answered your question, as a moderator I can tell you that Christian is one of the tutors who is paying particular attention to follow & answer people comments/questions here on the forums. His tutorials are also very well explained and he goes into details which is something I love ( don’t get some other dudes here writing that he talks too much… :smile: ).

Cheers guys !

1 Like

Hello, where can we find the 808 kit used in the song?

Hi @gorkemturan - you can find the 808 kit can be found in Ableton > Categories > Drums > Kit-808 Magnetikz.adg

So helpfull

1 Like

very helpful and inspiring tutorial. thx for that!
I have a question to the bass-mix-track. is there a particular reason (or advantage) to route them into an audio track instead of just grouping them together?

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it @NBT !!

In terms of grouping vs. routing (or bussing) … there has been a little bit of discussion regarding that in Ableton. It is a matter of preference, convenience and sometimes even visual reference. There is no right or wrong. There are small pros and cons to both. In this instance more a matter of personal taste.

Happy music making!

1 Like

Loving this series so far, thanks!

1 Like

some useful techniques there, but i needed more sort of step by step explanation of some things. I am new to ableton and i struggled to follow you with mapping and automation. overall good course, thank you!

1 Like

Hi @imo_95 … great that you picked up on a few tips. Thanks for the words. If there’s something essential that you feel you didn’t quite grasp after a couple of run throughs, then feel free to ask that question here. Every person is unique and will have different levels of skill with Ableton. I always take feedback on board.

Happy music making!

1 Like

Hi ! Sorry I don’t really understand the process for make Fx part please
Can you help me ? Thanks

hi @Popey … do you mean the FX in tutorial 11? Please let me know

Hi Christian
Sorry I do not speak English very well, I use a translator to write you Ahaa Thanks google
So yes, I did not understand the process to get to create the FX track
If I understand correctly it is to give body to the Bass Mix part by adding Eq, ping pong delay and compressor?
Thank you for your responsiveness!
And this tutorial is really good somes teks and tips , and many explications :slight_smile:

And yes, the FX Tutorial 11

Thanks you !
Clement

1 Like

no problem @Popey !!

So, it is not really to add “body” to the Bass Mix… it is really to use the Bass Mix as a sound source to add some fuzz and some movement into the track. (with a creative FX chain on a Return Channel). It is not super essential. I just wanted to show that you can use an existing, dominant recording (of your own) and continue to use it in a constructive and creative way right through the process. You could, of course, use saturation in this way to add some extra body to this stem at this stage of production. This is the beauty of being able to produce your track in different stages as different projects… and also to use your own stems creatively and not think of them as stagnant recordings that cannot be altered. Sends and Returns offer endless ways to enhance your ideas.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Oh yes i understand and it help me
It’s vision and an interesting approach that you share with us
This offers a lot of additional possibiliies then
So really the idea was to add fuzz and movement to music with this Fx part

Thank you !

1 Like