How To Make - Classic House with Dirty Secretz / 490

Classic House with Dirty Secretz

View Course

We welcome Sonic Academy regular ‘Dirty Secretz’ back to deliver a ‘How To Make ‘That Classic House’ in Ableton’ Reflecting on the number of tracks this year that has unashamedly brought back the bouncy house piano riff of days past. That Classic Chicago house sound maybe permanently ingrained the bright, staccato sounds of blocky piano chords in our collective subconscious, but these retro-minded piano timbres have been steadily pushed to the sidelines in favour of big room EDM ‘whomps’ and’drops’. However, with producers such as Paul Woolford, Todd Terje, and french producer Moon Boots have all broken out the classic M1 piano, and have brought new life to the sound. Here Richie takes us from the first kick right through to the mixing a mastering stage, and shows us how to nail that sound.

Also with this course, we are running a remix competition - The 'How To Make ‘That Classic House’ with Dirty Secretz Remix Contest is exclusive, here on Sonic Academy. We think we have one of the best music-making communities anywhere, and the level of production skillz coming through the forums is truly amazing. So, we are super excited to see what you guys can come up with - we know you can smash it. You can now download the stems from this awesome tune and start working your magic! We have shown you how to make the tune, now it’s over to you to get creative, and bust out those precious beats and show the world your production talent.

Competition closes on 30th Sept 2016 at 00.00 UTC

Seriously - you charge people $$ to remix for you ??

Like all the courses here, the subscription and/or download fee pay for the hard work and time that the tutors (including myself) put into their courses, not for the remix - that is just a nice extra. The concept being that you can be part of the whole process, from a blank page to release and possibly having your remix be part of that.

As part of the label family, I have many artists that I could ask for remixes for this single but I thought the remix contest would be a great idea to give up and coming producers on Sonic Academy the opportunity to get their work released. For me it’s about finding new talent and from the messages I get via social networks, there are producers on here creating some great work.

hey @aregrongstad nobody is charging for a remix - not sure where you are getting that from. We are a subscription site, which pays industry professionals to teach our users how to make professional tracks, sound design, produce to the highest standard. Our tutors have all remixed the biggest names in the world and toured the biggest stages. We do don’t just sell you templates like other sites, we show you how to make music. This is a remix competition for our subscribers, who continually post amazing productions on our forums - and is an added free bonus to the course. Richie has also kindly agree to released the chosen remix on his label if it reaches the correct standard, and we have put in some very very good prizes to. So, nobody is getting charged, in fact there are some great prizes to be won, and a chance to be on a pro release. Hope that clears it up for you.

Great idea guys!!! cant wait to get stuck in!!
not only do we get to learn, make and remix a track, we have something to look forward to doing with it, like sending it off and maybe having it released, and wining something for our efforts :slight_smile:
keep up the good work SA :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wicked! Can you recommend some reference tracks to check out for inspiration, to help with future tracks in this vein? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Richie and Chris,
Thank you for replying. Seems like a fair deal actually and well worth the insignificant $$ cost. Did not know there was a pro community in here, Got to check out what this is all about. Btw - respect guys - you make great tracks !

1 Like

hey guys,
on tutorial 7 Vocals… it says its 27 min long, but only loads 14 mins up and cuts off at 14 mins…? any ideas? or is this just me?
i logged out and back in to see if it changed, but it didn’t.
as ill be entering the remix comp the vocal is one of the main things i wanted to keep very similar :slight_smile: cheers
ps great tutorial so far :slight_smile:

Hey @ison , yeah something went wrong in the transcoding of this vid - all fixed now. Should be 27 min long.

@Jimsnowzell Classic House is most of the house sound from the nineties so you have so much to go from.

Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjkpN6LHFY

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body

N Joi - Anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhARCkMKFU

But then you’ve also got modern house music reviving it, take the new one by Weiss for example…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvWs01RS3do

Check out the Classic House category at Traxsource, that’ll also give you some great inspiration:

so for the remix are you wanting us to keep the 90s sound? or put our own spin and sound to it?
my sound is more deep vocal house?
obviously im keeping the piano as thats the classic 90s sound :slight_smile:

Totally put your own spin on it - that’s what we want to hear - go deeeep house on us!!

Just finished the course. Great job! Covered lots of material in an easy to understand manner.

you entering your mix into the competition scubaman?

great tutorial more like this some great tips

Glad you liked - hope you are gonna enter to remix comp?? Some great prizes.

Great idea to combine the tutorial with a remix competition. It just adds that extra bit of motivation.

I just submitted my remix, hope you guys like it.

1 Like

just finished this tutorial which is one of my favorites so far, a lot of great tips and good techniques…
now to put my own spin on it and submit it for the remix comp…

1 Like

just uploaded my remix, hope you like it :slight_smile:

Putting a limiter on it is still no where near as loud as a professional track!! No mention about audio engineers?