How To Make Swedish House

So I thought I would try to replicate the drums from the Swedish House Tutorial because I love that type of sound. The only caveat is the tutorial is in ableton and I am a native Logic user.

Has anyone been able to or know how to replicate the Drums using Logic and the Ultrabeat? In particular, the toms and bass would be awesome!

Shouldn’t matter which DAW you are using!

LOGIC

ABLETON

CUBASE

REASON

PRO TOOLS

all of the software that i know of all have the same Piano or Drum Matrix Screens (ok they are different colors or have slightly different name tools but essentially the same)

if in the tutorial the tutor sets his grid to 16ths using ableton then all you need to do using logic is set the grid to 16ths count out the numbers and place the notes in the same grid position.

Yeah I figured that, however understanding how things are filtered across DAWs can often be difficult to reverse engineer.

In the tutorial, its said that the toms are “filtered down”. So for hours I was trying to use Ultrabeats, filter and envelope settings to achieve the same sound in the tutorial. What i didnt know is that the Tom sequence is split in two with auto filters on each set. I was forced to download a trial copy of ableton and load the project files to figure that out. After some playing around, I finally figured it out.

I almost want to make the complete switch to Ableton but theres something about the UI that I dont really like. What would you suggest be the best route to take?

you could always rewire in to logic.

[quote]phil johnston (19/08/2010)[hr]you could always rewire in to logic.[/quote]

Here is the tactic I have been using:

1. Open the Project files Ableton
  2. Open a new project in Logic
  3. Solo each instrument and try to recreate the sound in logic using the samples provided in the project files.

Doing this using the Logic based tutorials is much easier for obvious reasons however in Ableton its proven to be a bit more difficult as I’ve found that even when I’ve identified the controls the coorespond to each other in each DAW (i.e. the Decay nob in Ableton and Envelope 4 in Ultrabeat), how the parameters are often different.

I hate to sound new to the concept but I won’t get anywhere if I don’t ask… Can you explain a bit about the rewire function? when should it be used? what are the advantages?

Am i going about it the right way?

rewire basically links the 2 programs together… one as master and one as slave.

it links the bars:beats of both timelines so when you press play on one the other plays from the same point.

it also links the mixers together so you can send audio from your slave to your masters mixer.

good if say you wanted to use some of abletons instruments but use logics fx.

Thanks for the info Phil…

I had a quick question on the Drums sections. Could you explain how the toms are tuned? What techniques were used to find the right pitch and transp for each of the toms?

[quote]J.HiZ (25/08/2010)[hr]Thanks for the info Phil…

I had a quick question on the Drums sections. Could you explain how the toms are tuned? What techniques were used to find the right pitch and transp for each of the toms?[/quote]

just by ear really… just play about untill it fits in. solo it with your bass and tune it until it sounds cool