How To Make - Synthwave with Bluffmunkey / 1454

1. Within ANA2 I set an LFO to modulate the pitch of the oscillator, but kept the LFO depth at zero (effectively no modulation). Then I set the modwheel to apply depth (amount) to that LFO so it starts acting on the pitch of the oscillators. You can do the same in almost any other plugin, but probably not Nexus as it has no mod matrix?

2. The guitar tone was mostly achieved using ANA2’s built in amp and cab simulations.

No reason other than ‘just because’. I often habitually push Glue a bit because of the soft limiter, but you can do it either way. Live’s limiter is a bit harsh and brutal so I tend not to lean on it too much. I use it more as an aggressive peak catcher than a true limiting tool.

Thank you so much for the responses, Bluffmunkey!

I am using a slightly older version of Ableton. Any change the tutorial-project will be uploaded in Ableton 10 format as well?

I’m afraid not unfortunately.

The Project File and resources are provided from the original tutor’s session and there’s no way to save or convert the project file from Live 11 to Live 10 I’m afraid, that will require to recreate the all Project from scratch using Live 10. The same compatibility issue also exist between Live 10.1 and older Live 10 versions BTW.

Jeff, what you can do is install the Live 11 Suite trial from Ableton which is fully functional for 90 days.

1 Like

Solid tutorial! Curious how you might approach making the bass synth in say an Ableton synth or something like Serum?

Thanks

Great course! The Prodigy track you mentioned in video 6 is Firestarter. The sound used in the breakdown is preset B00 Space Adventure from the Korg Prophecy, one of my fav 90s synth.

Accuracy confirmed…

It’s possible your remix ‘may’ have been one of my favourites… :wink:

1 Like

@Bluffmunkey Just got through the vocals video. Did you manage to get a hold of the vocal chain that the vocalist used for their vocal stems? Would LOVE to know that information. :slight_smile:

I think it’s a TLM 103 just straight in to the interface.

I’ll double check that’s what he’s still using

1 Like

I thought I mentioned it in one of the later videos, but he told me he was using an SM7b straight into a Focusrite 18i20. Nothing special at all!

1 Like

@phil_johnston @Bluffmunkey appreciate the replies. Yeah, I’m suspecting TLM 103 is more accurate, since that mic has a higher frequency profile than the SM7b. Also he literally did not do any levelling at all on his vocals?! Mind blowing how consistent he was then. I’ve never come across such clean vocals from just a straight mic to interface performance. Hats off for sure. :slight_smile:

Great course and something I really enjoyed watching. Thanks guys!

One thing I could have wanted more would be Bluffmunkey to dive deeper into those synthsounds and sort of reverse engineer them a bit for us who don’t have ANA or might maybe want to recreate them in other synths.

Cheers!

@RoopeB

If you check out Tech Tips 57 there are several videos in there specific to sound design and syntwave, using various different synths.

@Bluffmunkey

Brilliant, thank you! :slight_smile:

Ah thanks so much for letting me know. I’m honoured you like it! :slight_smile:

I recently came across an awesome patch collection from Michael Oakley for the TAL-UNO-LX synth. One of the bass patches was super close to the legendary Polysix. :slight_smile:

This was a super-helpful course - thanks so much for mak\ing it available to us.

This course series was so badass!!! Great information and the song is just brilliant. Question on the sounds. Are those ANA2 patches part of the default patch set for the synth, or is that a separate “Synthwave” pack?