How To Make - Uplifting Trance 2019 with James Dymond / 804

Uplifting Trance 2019 with James Dymond

View Course

Back by popular demand trance legend James Dymond joins us for an all-new epic 7 hour tutorial in How To Make Uplifting Trance 2019.

Starting with a blank slate James meticulously builds an absolute monster of a track from scratch in FL Studio. As with all of his courses his focus is getting every single element sitting perfectly in the mix and sounding the best it possibly can.
Easy to follow and understand, the techniques, tips and tricks shown here are guaranteed to raise your game.
His methodical approach to perfecting a foundation loop before adding melodic elements, always layering to get that ā€˜blanket of soundā€™ before arranging and using automation to keep the track flowing by building up and breaking down seamlessly.

Itā€™s just what a ton of you guys have been waiting for and yet again James does not disappoint!

Canā€™t wait to go through this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing

1 Like

Love it already, working on the sub right now. I have a question, the boosting and reducing of certain frequencys as shown here for the key of E, does that not become a problem when the Sub plays different notes in the Chordprogression or do i have to apply this technique to all the other notes later on as well?

Love it, thanks again for the course with James dymond, he is a brilliant artist and my favourite one

Really enjoying the course so far. I just need to figure out the best plugins to use instead of the rather expensive ones that James uses. Iā€™ve signed up to Slate Digital, which is really good value.

1 Like

Extremely good suff here. Never enough of this kind of Videos:)

2 Likes

@Gomiun I had the same question on his last trance course in 2017. what I ended up doing is when I rolled off the lower part of the sub I made sure I rolled enough to let the lowest note I was going to play come through.

That is to say if I am in E and the lowest note I played during the entire track was C then I rolled off the low sub using C as the reference point not my root note.

Well done!

Liked your idea, that without any words, point out things with some mouse movements.

BR,
Rickard

amazing best 138 trance course I have seen and I have seen allot, I find it crazy who your EQs are so basic yet thereā€™s still so much clarity and cleanness in the track, I love your simplistic approach, thanks for this truly.

1 Like

Disappointed to see its made in FL and not one of the decent DAWā€™s like Logic or Ableton especially for uplifting Trance. Also disappointed in no synthesis techniques shown however i agree you cant teach composition. I cert havent been waiting on this.

@Gomiun and @Producer1 what you can do is that after applying your boosting & reduction of frequencies onto your sub with your EQ you can bounce it to audio and load it into a sampler, that way your EQ adjustments stick with your sub changse

Hi @strigata, can assure you the FL studio is a very decent DAW, and you can apply all the same techniques James shows you into any DAW.

Well Done! Great tutorial!

Hey all, replying to the few comments about the Sub EQ.

Generally once Iā€™ve EQā€™d the Sub on the root frequencies I wonā€™t do any further EQ during the chord progression section. I understand that sometimes the Sub can become a lot louder or quieter in certain keys - to combat this you can add a compressor to the Sub AFTER all of your EQ processing. Use the Voxengo Span to identify which chord progression increases the volume of the Sub, and try to make sure the compressor is compressing by a few DB at that chord only.

You could also try what other people have mentioned: render out the Sub to audio and then apply additional EQ (dips/boosts on the correct frequency) for the different chord changes to smooth it out. However, I sometimes find this makes the Sub sound a little inconsistent.

When the Sub is put through the Kick & Bass bus, the 2x compression on there will also help to smooth out the Sub chord changes. Youā€™ll notice in the track thereā€™s really not a massive difference in volume during the chord sections.

Unless there is a really huge difference in volume over the chord changes, I havenā€™t noticed it being a big problem when playing my tracks out live. As long as the chord changes are consistent within a few DB, then they will sound fine on the club sound system.

Also, remember that your speakers/studio room can effect what youā€™re hearing. Certain keys will produce more ā€œstanding wavesā€ or bounce around your room in funny ways. For example, my room has a noticeable increase in volume in the keys of G.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:
James.

1 Like

Thanks alot James, darkmemoria, producer1 ā€¦Great Course, Thanks James & Sonic Academy for puttinā€™ this up!

@Strigata ā€¦ I agree with @chris_agnelli on this one. Even though Iā€™m a Logic Pro X user, I can say that these days FL Studio is a top DAW that is on par with Logic, Cubase, Abletonā€¦ Long gone are the days of ā€œFruity Loopsā€ being an amateur DAW.

In fact a great thing on this iteration of @James_Dymond SA courses is that he finally upgraded to a more recent version of FL Studio, because as you may see on his previous courses he was still using FL Studio 9 (I think), which had many quirks that James was fully aware of, but he said that with his schedule he didnā€™t had the time to upgrade and learn a new version. For this new course I think he finally upgrade to FL Studio 12 or 20, not sure which one as Iā€™m not an FL user, but definitely heā€™s not anymore on FL 9.

Glad to see @James_Dymond back on SA.

Excellent Tutorial!!! Thanks a lot James!!

Please keep adding more FL Studio content. Thanks!

@Kerris Which plugins do you not have? Maybe I can suggest cheaper or possibly free alternatives?

True, these plugins can be very expensive. However, I bought the majority of them on discount. Sign up to the Waves & Plugin Alliance newletters and they will let you know when they are discounted. They are expensive for a reason, but totally worth the investment I have found over the years!

Let me know which plugins you