How To Make - Uplifting Trance with James Dymond / 254

Do you recommend EQing the kick immediately when I add the kick in? All my previous music was laid out on the playlist before I bothered with EQing and adding effects.

Great course!

Hey @daverney

there’s a really in depth course about this here that you perhaps find interesting :

Great course only half way through, also using it cross platform as I am using Abelton not FL, if you know your way about Abelton and are handy enough it is not too diffcult to grasp!! Keep them coming

Anyone know how to do the automation on the plugin parameters, explained in the Lead video in the tutorial, in Ableton? As in making the 100% automation the top point of the cutoff in the plugin so I can automate everything together. Hope that makes sense and hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

thanks James this is helping me no end

This has been very helpful James, You have this way of explaining things like no other. I have learned a lot thanks to you. Now basically everything makes sense. Thank you again! :slight_smile:

great lesson

He is a genius

Really Good course, Excellent tip about EQ-ing the fundamentals in.

This course is exceptionally good from start to finish. I was struggling with fitting track elements together, getting really flat sounds and muddy mixes, but that has changed considerably since working through this course. Having been through it several times as reference when creating own tunes, new things are learned nearly every day.

Really looking forward to working through James’ other courses.

This was a fantastic course, give us more and more:)

Awesome course! A very understood and informative course with a tutor who clearly explains the content covered and the reasons behind certain aspects. Thank you very much James please keep making courses!

So I got a question, why dont you sidechain your loops here?

Amazing course, this is my third course in the trance genre and i wish i came across this one first. Thankyou so much!

Absolutely brilliant, cheers James!

Helpful course James cheers.

I love all of Jame’s productions, I bought this course!!!

Why Send the the buss to the effect and not just put the effect (delay) on the buss ? Good stuff =)

@Lasse88

Mostly workflow and more control preferences, in many cases it’s preferable to have your effects ( especially for reverb & delays but not only ) on a Return channel instead of the instrument or Bus channel itself.

Keeping your effect on the Channel or Bus means you have only the Dry/Wet knob to adjust the amount of effect apply to your audio and some plugins won’t even have a Dry/Wet knob available.

Setting your effect on a Return channel means that you have control of your sends amount, so how much audio signal you’re sending into the effect which is handy when you do not have the Dry/Wet knob on the effect but not only, it gives you more control on the audio as well. Most plugins and especially plugins emulating vintage gears won’t react the same depending on the input signal they receive.

So yep, setting up things this way is much more flexible.

Usually, you will stick an effect directly on the instrument or bus for sound design purpose and crafting the sound to your liking but then use Return channels for global reverb, delays, parallel compression…etc.

You can also see it as typical analog workflow with real console and effects hardware but without the patching and cabling hassle thanks to the flexibility of digital workflow and DAWs.