How to sell your remixes?

Hello,

I have been producing electro house remixes of top 40 songs for a few months, and putting them on youtube and soundcloud for the world to hear. They have been getting very popular, and multiple dance music radio stations have put them in rotation. Is there any way I could be making money off of my work? So far I have been putting them all up on my website for free download. Is that helping or hurting my cause? I need suggestions. Would labels be interested me? Is there any way I can sell them? Is there no money in being a remix producer?

It’s not that there’s no money, but you probably want to get an original mix to really get your name out there. People who look for remixes, especially big labels looking for remixers of Pop songs, are going to look at financially successful artists. So I would get around to either doing a remix that you’ve been commissioned to do or making an original track to get your name and aesthetic across to a bigger audience.

[quote]Djreidiculous (06/09/2011)[hr]Hello,

I have been producing electro house remixes of top 40 songs for a few months, and putting them on youtube and soundcloud for the world to hear. They have been getting very popular, and multiple dance music radio stations have put them in rotation. Is there any way I could be making money off of my work? So far I have been putting them all up on my website for free download. Is that helping or hurting my cause? I need suggestions. Would labels be interested me? Is there any way I can sell them? Is there no money in being a remix producer?[/quote]

It’s a good way to start the ball rolling and perhaps getting yourself some work off the back of it. Most remixers these days however are on lower fees than they used to due to low physical sales, many are working for nothing. They do the mixes to get profile and DJ gigs (ie money). Labels will only be interested in you if you have something ‘special’ to offer - maybe you look good, maybe you have a huge fan base, maybe you have an air of mystery… you’ve got to have something as the labels want ‘cool’ If you had two producers of equal ability doing similar mixes the label are going to pick the most interesting of the two.

Just keep doing what you are doing, forget trying to earn money just yet - there are many people out there already doing what you are doing. Try to stand out and FORGET ABOUT MONEY FOR THE MOMENT and develop your music production skills further - explore other genres. The skills you gain may be important later on. If you are going to earn money it will happen when it happens. Keep your day job and be good at it too :wink:

BTW your production name is ridiculous

:w00t:

remixing top 40 songs into dubstep & electro is a great way to get more followers, fans and people playing your music… people love to play stuff thats different but familiar to the ears of the listeners… so those kinda remixes can get pretty popular.

you just won’t ever make any money from it. Sony or Warner Bros is not exactly going to allow you to release a remix of Katie Perry or Lady Gaga. ain’t gunna happen unless your topping the charts on beatport with your original mixes. and even then… its still a crap shot depending on the artist and label.

your productions sound top notch i would start doing your own productions.

you should look to hook your self up with a writer and vocalist.

someone like http://alexanderperls.com be carful with this dude. not to say theres anything dodgy about him its just he’s very aware of how much a good vocals can make a track and what sort of cut its worth. and will push the cuts to the edge.

his vocals are very well recorded and written.

Awesome thank you guys for responding. People barely ever reply to my posts on jere for some reason! I’m going to keep the ball rolling with these top 40 remixes. I have been excelling in the bootleg department and it’s been very fruitful as far as viewership and Internet buzz goes. Being the first person to post a half decent remix of a huge top 40 hit really helps you get views.

I have tons of original tracks with singers, but nothing gets the massive response like my remixes do. even if the production quality is on the same level. To see an example of what I’m talking about check out the original song “Falling in love” on my YouTube channel.

Www.YouTube.com/djreidiculousvideos