How to send a specific frequency to an effect, and back

Hi all,

I’ve searched for awhile for a way to do this to no avail. At minute 6:47 of this video: Simon Posford Interview in the Studio // Hallucinogen Part 1 - YouTube - the producer explains an effect by which he selects a specific frequency, sends it to an effect of choice, and then sends the effect “back to itself”.

In Live 8 what would be the best way to achieve this? Would it require a specific VST or can Live handle it natively? How would I select the frequency, and only that to the effect, and then bounce it back to itself to create a similar style effect?

Many thanks for any input to point me in the right direction.

Well,

If I wanted to do it… I’d send something via a send to an EQ with a narrow n shape - then stick whatever FX after?

Then blend it in with the fader?

Or is it more complicated than that?

[quote]ICN (22/10/2011)[hr]Well,

If I wanted to do it… I’d send something via a send to an EQ with a narrow n shape - then stick whatever FX after?

Then blend it in with the fader?

Or is it more complicated than that?[/quote]

Simples.

So once you have sent the signal to a return, would you then send it back to a normal track?

Hm, alright makes sense for the EQing, how would one send the return back to itself? Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

Use an Audio Effects rack, that way you keep the original signal and the new signal by setting up two chains. One chain with the FX on whatever frequency it is you want and another for the original…

If you want that frequency to only be the affected signal of that frequency it might be better to use the Multiband Dynamics Tool, set up three channels and find the sweet spot by setting the high and low to where you feel appropriate then on each of the three chains solo either the high, mid or low (depending on which chain it is (one chain per area…)) and add whatever FX you want to each one…

Maybe I am getting you wrong on what you want…

Check out the video, he is using an aux. send to route the channel to the echo device.

He then uses an aux send on the echo channel to send it back to itself.

I understand the frequency isolation now, thank you for that, just unsure on the routing within Live and how to set that up to an effect channel and route back to itself as he is accomplishing there.

What you can do is create an audio rack in ableton create 2 chains one will be un affected the other one will have an EQ this is where youll select the frequency range you want to increase or add certain effects then to send to the the echoes or delays add those in a return chain and send as much of the signal you want affected then the simple delay has a feedback and you turn that up all the way and it feedbacks that delay back into the simple delay…and you can add and EQ to target certain frequencies instead of the full signal…i hope that came out worded right ive had too much drinks today! well bye