How to sync two laptops

Hi me and my friend would like to make a dj set with both of us playing with ableton

anybody knows hot to set them up we have both a uc 33e we connected them with a midi cable input and output and and set the midi sync pref in and out on sync but when the master plays the slave wont play or do anything any help would be much appreciated thanks

First off, both users need an audio interface that supports midi in/out.

The master user needs to run a midi cable from midi out to the midi in of the slave user.

The slave user needs to go into properties under midi/sync and select the correct input they are using and set it to where sync is ON but remote and track are OFF.

Also, the slave needs to press the EXT button on the upper right corner.

The master needs to go into properties under midi/sync and select the correct output they are using and make sure all options are checked. Chances are this is already configured correctly.

(MASTER USER)Now when you hit play and have something playing, an orange light should light up to the tempo next to the ext button. When the slave joins in and starts sending midi signals, a green light above the orange light should blink as well. These lights are great indicators to making sure signals are being sent properly, so keep an eye on them.

(SLAVE USER)You should have the same deal going on like the master user, but only one light will be blinking. Master should have two lights blinking and the slave should have one. If this occurs, then you’ve got it running correctly.

Master should hit play and both should be running just fine. If not, go back and read the steps and double check your configuration.

Now the sync may not be perfect, but this is usually because your latency is too high on your audio interface. Do anything you can to decrease the latency without causing artifacts. Ours wasn’t perfect because we both have ****ty USB interfaces, but for the most part it got the job done.

We actually did this through our controllers, because our audio interfaces didn’t have midi ports, which resulted in a few additional steps, but really only for the slave. The slave needs to add a separate instance of the controller, but I can’t remember EXACTLY how it’s done. If you’re curious, PM IG88 and he’ll tell you.

good info there !! thanks howie

You’re welcome

thanks again howie:)

hi i did step by step as the tutorial says we are trying to sync through miidi controllers not audio interface but when the slave try to play tracks just sits there blinkin the play button and never start any ideas what wrong??

[quote]cimetrik (26/04/2010)[hr]hi i did step by step as the tutorial says we are trying to sync through miidi controllers not audio interface but when the slave try to play tracks just sits there blinkin the play button and never start any ideas what wrong??[/quote]

Unfortunately, I dont know. i would have to see it.