I 7 Processor vs I 5 Processor

hi everyone

after working for a while with an old computer where i need to freeze everything to be able to work . i decided that i need to buy a new computer .

now i heard about the new Processors I 5 and I 7 . i would like to spend at least 1000.00 USD  and i want to buy a computer powerfull enough to run at  least 32 channels without any lagg .( I barely ca run 20 channels before my Pentium 4 freezes :stuck_out_tongue: )

i heard that I 5 would be better to get than an I 7 Processor for Music Making . is this Thrue? 

Its not true. They are all good for making music. If you want to rock out a new laptop or computer, I would get no lower then a core 2 duo.

both of these are really fast, the i7 is faster

thanks for the reply. i heard rummors that the cache made some sequencer or drivers act a litle crazy but i guess i did some research and i couldnt find anything .,

thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Depends which model actually which is the best thinking about it. There are different i5s and i7s just to make it more confusing.

For desktop PCs the i5-750 is the quad core version, the other i5s are dual cores. All the i7s are quad cores. The i5-750, i7-860 or i7-930 are the best to get.

Having said that just about any new machine should be pretty quick.

What sort of stuff are you wanting to plug into it? Audio interface, DSP cards etc?

Have you seen any machines that you were thinking of buying?

[quote]dazed_and_confused (01/04/2010)[hr]Depends which model actually which is the best thinking about it. There are different i5s and i7s just to make it more confusing.

For desktop PCs the i5-750 is the quad core version, the other i5s are dual cores. All the i7s are quad cores. The i5-750, i7-860 or i7-930 are the best to get.

Having said that just about any new machine should be pretty quick.

What sort of stuff are you wanting to plug into it? Audio interface, DSP cards etc?

Have you seen any machines that you were thinking of buying?[/quote]

this is the link for the model that i want .

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5287094&sku=H24-1208

and about hardware . i have a Microkorg hardware synth , also i have an exteral usb Audiophile pro soundcard , a nocturn controller.

Looks like a kick *** machine don’t think you’ll be disappointed with that one

thanks man !! i think i am going with it with windows 32bit since  i have discovered that some old hardware doesnt work with the 64 bits :frowning:

I have 64 bit vista and lots of hardware. I had a couple of issues one was the driver for my soundcard didn’t work so I sold it and bought a new one. I think windows 7 addresses some of the problems of drivers not working. My advice is if your going to spend that much on a new pc get 64 bit and iron out any issues afterwards then it’s sorted. Try googling your hardware to see if anyone had issues with stuff not working on windows7

@ Mussi81

thanks dude!! i did some research and i cant use some of my sotware synths in  windows 64  + i decided that i will buy the operating system or updagrade it to widows 64  when they create drivers from my hardware . ( i use my Microkorg Xl alot  and some Soft synths that has been Glitching in windows 64 bits  ) :frowning:

It’s a good point but I was looking at the product reviews on that site and people said you can upgrade this one to 64 bit later on using a disk that comes with it. Might be worth checking on that. The boxed version of Windows 7 comes with both.

So you could probably start with 32 bit and go 64 bit later. Means you will have to wipe it to change over.

Something with more PCI express slots might be worth considering too if you’re going to want to add DSP cards or anything further down the line. Cards inside the computer usually work out cheaper than firewire and less likely to have compatibility problems.

You could get something custom built instead of the HP one. I built my own recently, I can tell you which bits to look at. Does have some advantages. HP one should be pretty decent tho.