Impulse vs. Drum Rack

No hostility on my part,

You can do the same with both, but it just requires different workflow. If you work better with one then stick with that.

IMO Drum Rack is there to streamline things should your project require it, less channels, tracks, groups or whatever needed. Functionality not inbuilt to impulse.

If Drum Rack (and sampler) weren’t part of Suite I could totally cope, infact I wouldn’t bother with suite at all, but I just like operator and analog - the other stuff is just a bonus.

[quote]bangthedj (15/10/2010)[hr]No hostility on my part,

You can do the same with both, but it just requires different workflow. If you work better with one then stick with that.

IMO Drum Rack is there to streamline things should your project require it, less channels, tracks, groups or whatever needed. Functionality not inbuilt to impulse.

If Drum Rack (and sampler) weren’t part of Suite I could totally cope, infact I wouldn’t bother with suite at all, but I just like operator and analog - the other stuff is just a bonus.[/quote]

Great explanation… and I wasnt talkin about hostility from you bro!

Drum racks win hands down!! No contest.

It does everything that impulse does, in a way just as simple. But has tones of extra stuff. Everything is on its own channel with no set up required making essential tasks such as compressing and EQing each individual hit far more easier then with impulse. It has its own effects routing. This alone is enough to use it over impulse lol!!! And then you can also assign macros, and can throw any vst (and au) synth in there you like.

And its got a visible waveform. If your sampling loops thats pretty essential for getting the right hits.

And if you got a launch pad, its all auto assigned!

yeah i wasn’t being hostile either dude.

for me both can do pretty much the same but Impluse has huge amounts of Velocity options compared to maybe 1 or 2 of simpler so in my eyes impulse is much better if you spend a bit of time setting it up compared to using drum rack.

You can right click in Drum rack and choose Simpler → Sampler (maybe there is a way to have sampler as default) or if you want even drop an impulse into Drum Rack.

:slight_smile:

i think for making simple drums then Drumrack is the tool but will all the Velocity functions on the impulse its hard to see where you can do things on the drum rack you can’t do on impulse.

in fact with velocity settings that can be used to modulate the Volume, Pan, Filter, Stretch and Transpose of each cell (total of 40 per impulse) i find it hard to trust drumrack to be a better option for getting creative.

Just to point out you can have your individual drum hits have their own individual channels using Impulse. It involves routing them to individual audio channels its just à hell of alot quicker and simpler using drum racks (no pun intended).

Also too, you can have an actual VST synth or an Ableton synth on each pad in Drum Rack, where Impulse can only work Samples.