Introduction of Dance music into the mainstream- Opinions?

Hey all,

so this is less a straightforward question as it is an open one. Listening to a local (San Francisco) radio station tonight, I heard Swedish House Mafia followed by a couple Steve Angello and Porter Robinson remixes. This was a typical pop station, nothing that specializes in any sort of dance music.

It occurred to me that in the last few years, Dance music, mostly electro house and trance, but also elements of dutch and minimal has really entered into the mainstream music consciousness, whether directly through individual dance tracks gaining attention or through people like Guetta and Afrojack infusing Top 10 hits with 4x4 beats and 5th-house stabs. Hell, even Britney Spears threw in a wobble bass.

My question is just: what do you think? Is it going to totally marginalize the music? Will it destroy modern dance music? Will it bring it to new and uncharted territories?

Just wondering because I’ve been pondering this myself.

I don’t it is anything new tbh, dance tracks have been making it in the charts for a couple of decades now.

Especially If a large record company thinks they can make money they will jump on the band wagon

I think the house mafia are just the latest product :slight_smile:

[quote]Mussi81 (12/02/2011)[hr]I don’t it is anything new tbh, dance tracks have been making it in the charts for a couple of decades now.

Especially If a large record thinks they can make money they will jump on the band wagon

I think the house mafia are just the latest product :)[/quote]

This.

i disagree with above. Pop music isnt westlife anymore, if you look at every single charted song at the moment. (especially here in the uk) pretty much every song is a 4 to the floor house beat. this wasnt the case a few years ago. this in my opinion is due to artists such as calvin harris and other pop/dance artists who first really made the house/dance sound popular in the millions. which effected artists such as black eyed peas who made more rnbish stuff. will.i.am who produces black eyed peas started making more housey stuff which changed the sound of the rnb crowd. and now if you look at all the ‘rnb’ its now house like i stated above. as for people such as swedish house mafia and other beatport artists. yes flaxo it is increasing. ive been following dubstep for some years now and live in bristol, england which has one of the best scenes for it. 2 years ago i would never thought i would hear benga along with skream on the radio. right after pink.

my two cents

has anyone heard lady gag’s new song? another dubstep influenced pop song. haha :smiley:

Have you heard of the chemical brothers, underworld, the prodigy, fat boy slim, these are the easy ones off the top of my head. I’ve heard drum and bass (roni size), trance (ferry corsten, Paul van dyke)), house (countless tracks), techno (moby was on top of the pops with go) all go commercial at some point, and even hardcore , remember the smart e’s?

The big record companies get a snIff at what is popular in clubs and they cash in.

R’n’b artists now use a more housey influence as they have milked everything else. They need to keep there scene fresh so they started using synths and a 4x4 beat

I’m only talking about the uk charts of course :slight_smile:

havent the US always a few years or more behind us in the UK when it comes to EDM, I know they defo have been when it comes to trance anyway.

[quote]gofunk (12/02/2011)[hr]havent the US always a few years or more behind us in the UK when it comes to EDM, I know they defo have been when it comes to trance anyway.[/quote]

your wrong go funk!! the US is not a couple years behind we’re light years behind in EDM!! the main reason is because most of the people here are followers and not leaders when it comes to music. 

If it’s not completely mainstream then it’s not good music. All I listen to Trance and you would not believe the grief I get from those that have’nt got a clue… especially when I hear the crap their listening to!!!

[quote]willidaniel (13/02/2011)[hr][quote]gofunk (12/02/2011)[hr]havent the US always a few years or more behind us in the UK when it comes to EDM, I know they defo have been when it comes to trance anyway.[/quote]

your wrong go funk!! the USis not a couple years behind we’re light years behind in EDM!! the main reason is because most of the people here are followers and not leaderswhen it comes to music.

If it’s not completely mainstream then it’s not goodmusic. All I listen to Trance and you would not believe the grief I get from those that have’nt got a clue… especially when I hear the crap their listening to!!![/quote]

+1, my life exactly. I’m in the middle of Canada, and the only people here who listen to electronic music either watch Jersey Shore and bought the soundtrack, have only heard of Deadmau5 or have moved here from somewhere else :stuck_out_tongue:

To be fair it is getting more exposure lately, and I have met a few odd people who have something that surprises me on their ipods but as a whole, “light years behind” isn’t a huge exaggeration. Although this is probably different in major cities, so don’t pull the “club scene in Toronto, Vancouver, Miami, LA, etc etc” card on me please haha

I’ll agree that in the US, where I live, we’re pretty behind on the trend. It’s because of so many idiots who just call all of EDM “techno” and say that it originated in Europe, etc… I’m so sick of people who come up when I’m DJing and request Ke$ha. Swear to god, I’m going to slap the next one with my laptop…

BUT, I will say that a lot of the top tracks on iTunes, billboard, etc… are exhibiting a new friendliness to Dance, whether it be Trance hooks or the classic midrange bassline. So I’ll have to disagree with the idea that EDM has been in the US pop consciousness for a long time; if you listen to any Top 40 releases before about 2007, you’d be hard pressed to find a supersaw or 4x4 beat. It was all hip hop influenced, orchestral-ish 50 Cent, Britney Spears etc…

So many different ethnic groups are tied to certain types of music in the US. If your a certain type of person that listens to a different type of music than your considered cool (if it’s mainstream enough)

With electronic music or EDM know one knows who to connect it to or how it will fit in to who they are and the people they know, so they usually discredit it all together and say that’s european music!

remember kids. music recycle . pop music always copied some underground music style since the beginning. like michael jackson took most of the influence in Disco and later on from 80s industrial music. ETC.

so pretty much this is normal that pop have to catch up with the EDM.

its always has been like this , as long as i remember.

I remember playing top 40s in a club 9 years ago ., and people requesting Alice Deejay 9 you better be alone) .

Interesting flaxo I didn’t realise you were in the u.s

House and techno originated in the u.s we all know that but the u.s didn’t want it. that’s when it came over to the uk and Europe and exploded. that’s why for me living in the uk it’s nothing new. We’ve had dance tracks in the charts for years.

Now the u.s seems to be catching up with the rest of us :slight_smile:

Meh the record companies are only doing what sells at the moment. 5 years ago it was money, bitches and hos. Now it’s hands in the air house. I’m will to bet most of the people who are listening to the top 40 house at the minute will not look at it in 5 years when there is a different popular genre.