IQ and it's correlation with producing electronic music

What’s everyone’s thoughts on IQ and how it correlates to programming electronic music? My opinion is it seems like most successful computer producers have a higher than average IQ, but having a high IQ doesn’t mean success. Maybe it’s because there is a high level of tech and programming and a steep learning curve that does require cognitive ability. Anyone heard BT talk? He just exudes intelligence and he’s one of the producers I look up to.

In the end, I think IQ helps out with the learning curve and programming side. But it sure isn’t a replacement for hard work and dedication. One of my buddies who is REALLY smart (IQ 135) quit producing after a week. He just lacked the drive and guts.

Ooh interesting topic!

Personally from what I have seen I do think its the last part of what you said and not IQ.

Its the drive you have for it and the time you spend on it that gets the big producers where they are now, not a good IQ.

I am certain everyone in the world has their own take on music when they listen to it, and as such I do believe everyone is creative enough to produce what is at least a decent track. The difference therefore is that some people, take most the common users of the forum here and yourself (hopefully! :P) have the drive to go on and actually learn the techniques they need to produce that track they have hidden away in their brain somewhere.

Obviously thats where IQ does come in. Someone with a high IQ should be able to learn the “technical” aspects of music production a lot faster than someone with a low IQ, and as such someone with a high IQ and the same drive as someone with a low IQ might find they get “there” faster.

At the end of the day though its the creative side alongside the drive you have for your music that wins it.

A track which is all technical and not creative at all is just gonna be ****e (opinion based here but take most of these stupid *** jump on the bandwagon Brostep producers). But a track that isnt so technical but is very creative and very nicely put together can still sound amazing.

Take some of Eric Prydz tracks (I say some cause he does have the techical skills to produce technical masterpieces as well!) like Pjanoo. Very simple, nothing overly “technical”, but its a very well done track and it gets the dance floor going mad for a reason…

tl;dr: Its Drive + Creativity IMO. IQ only helps, it doesnt provide success.

A lot of people say I’m pretty smart so I’ll say that yes it’s all about IQ! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think creativity is a big piece of it too though. Creativity is very hard to teach and every artist needs to discover it from within themselves. Sadly, I don’t think everybody has the same capacity for creativity, so that can be a limiting factor. But if you don’t try, you won’t succeed!

I’m well intellegant!

FFS

Not many posts get me angry but this has

Thats cos you dont understand what everyone is talking about Paul :hehe:

Fair observation :wink:

Interesting topic and one that I’m suprised you decided to put into the OT forum as it’s music production related?

Either way I’m not sure whether IQ really has much to do with producing, perhaps more so when it comes to the engineering side of things but the actual creativity side perhaps not so much.

But who knows right? Interesting to read your views and thoughts.

[quote]Mussi81 (06/06/2012)[hr]I’m well intellegant![/quote]

LOL!! :D:D

IQ is now regarded as flawed measurement of intelligence… and only specific to a certain type of brain function.

there are many different types of intelligence being measured in different ways now.

Problem solving

Linguistic

Creative

Emotional

Physical

Spatial

Visual

etc.

IQ doesn’t measure creative, emotional or physical intelligence particularly well which are all vital for making music.

Usually, people that have high IQ and are very science based or maths wizzards etc arent really very good at creative stuff like creative writing or music or art etc.

However, electronic music which of course done on the computer is quite science based and maths based when you get to the deep ins of it. I do actually believe that having a high IQ will help you with music production. I think a genius who starts producing will get very tight mixes, and everything in his mix will be very precise and sound very clean cut, which is great.

The problem is, they will miss what people call artistic genius. They wont be the ones coming out with crazy new sounds or styles. Trying crazy things in their productions with fx or whatever and probably wont see much in trying out 100000’s of things without achieving anything really.

They think like this, “Why play a silly piano, when the computer can play it for me?” , “Why try and record a live guitar, when i can use a sample?”. If that makes sense?

To add to this i would just like to mention a dutch DJ/Producer who goes by the name of Erik Arbores. Just google him if you want to hear this music. This kid is 14 years old and is already ready for University. He was some sorta genius child who loved physics and Science in general. Just think nerd/genius. Now despite being ready for the best Universities in Europe and mabey even a future Noble prize winner, this guy wanted to dj and make Dance music. So he quit his education…

Now hes signed to Universal, Armada and Spinnin Records, which is damn impressive if your 14 years old. So i think he is proof that it does correlate, or at least can help you.

My old maths teacher used to say if your good at maths you will be good at life. Unfortunately i sucked at Maths, i was so proud of my C for my Maths GSCE :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]jjdejong0 (12/06/2012)[hr]Usually, people that have high IQ and are very science based or maths wizzards etc arent really very good at creative stuff like creative writing or music or art etc.

However, electronic music which of course done on the computer is quite science based and maths based when you get to the deep ins of it. I do actually believe that having a high IQ will help you with music production. I think a genius who starts producing will get very tight mixes, and everything in his mix will be very precise and sound very clean cut, which is great.

The problem is, they will miss what people call artistic genius. They wont be the ones coming out with crazy new sounds or styles. Trying crazy things in their productions with fx or whatever and probably wont see much in trying out 100000’s of things without achieving anything really.

They think like this, “Why play a silly piano, when the computer can play it for me?” , “Why try and record a live guitar, when i can use a sample?”. If that makes sense?

To add to this i would just like to mention a dutch DJ/Producer who goes by the name of Erik Arbores. Just google him if you want to hear this music. This kid is 14 years old and is already ready for University. He was some sorta genius child who loved physics and Science in general. Just think nerd/genius. Now despite being ready for the best Universities in Europe and mabey even a future Noble prize winner, this guy wanted to dj and make Dance music. So he quit his education…

Now hes signed to Universal, Armada and Spinnin Records, which is damn impressive if your 14 years old. So i think he is proof that it does correlate, or at least can help you.

My old maths teacher used to say if your good at maths you will be good at life. Unfortunately i sucked at Maths, i was so proud of my C for my Maths GSCE :P[/quote]

I didn’t meant to troll with anyone on this thread, just wanted to know everyone’s opinions. I listened to Erik’s tunes on youtube and WOW, thats incredible for only being 14. Kid will definitely go far