Just bought Ultimate Drums

What a disappointment — and you guys should be embarrassed for selling it.br
br
As far as Ableton Live goes, all drum samples are dumped into a single drum rack and are not organized at all.br
br
You couldn’t be bothered to take a half hour, make some proper drum racks and create an .als so the samples and loops can be properly be installed? Next time ring me up and I’ll do it for you since you guys are obviously too lazy to do a proper job of it.br
br
I feel like a total rube for actually paying money for this. What a rip-off.

They are are organised in acordance with standard GM maps.br
br
They are all there individulally too so you can make your own drum racks.br
br
You are the first person to complain about this so im pretty sure its not an issue for most of our users.br
br
Also please be polite and refrain from calling names etc. its against our forum rules.

Doctor Banjo literally couldn’t be more wrong. All of the Ultimate Drums come in nice and tidy folders and all samples are separated accordingly (Hats, percussion, etc…) if you’re not a fan of the drum racks they made. I’ve purchased all of them and along with the quality of the samples being fantastic they are organized the EXACT same way as any other sample pack I have bought.

[quote]jamesXarnold (30/06/2013)[hr]Doctor Banjo literally couldn’t be more wrong. All of the Ultimate Drums come in nice and tidy folders and all samples are separated accordingly (Hats, percussion, etc…) if you’re not a fan of the drum racks they made. I’ve purchased all of them and along with the quality of the samples being fantastic they are organized the EXACT same way as any other sample pack I have bought.[/quote]br
br
I wasn’t talking about the organization of the samples themselves, I was talking about the organization of the Ableton Live drum rack specifically.br
br
br
br
The screen shot above is from UD Dubstep. Three racks and 90 sample slots, each with the truncated name of UD Dubstep. That’s quite useful! br
br
Not all samples are included in the drum rack, so if you want the complete set, make your own racks with the one-hits and make sure and rename the samples so you can actually see what they are. Grade C-.br
br
------------------------------------br
br
Here’s UD Main Room House. You managed to abbreviate the name at the beginning so you can tell if it’s a kick, snare, clap etc. Not all of the one hit samples are included in the drum rack, roll your own with the one hits. Grade B-.br
br
br
br
br
br
br
UD - Trance — again, very incomplete rack. 61 samples thrown in randomly, and like Dubstep clip slot names are truncated to the first part of the file name so every slot name says UB Trance. Grade C-.br
br
br
And finally UD - Progressive. This example proves my point in a nutshell. It conveys the idea that you don’t pay attention to detail. The default state of the rack is turned off which disables the play buttons. Grade C-. If the clip slot names were truncated like the others, this would have been a D.br
br
br
br
br
I would be embarrassed to offer a free drum rack this disorganized, much less charge money for it.

Most sample packs dont even include kits it just a bunch of samples. the kits where added as a bonus and a way to just get started quickly.br
br
The sounds aren’t thrown in randomly they are (as close as possible) mapped to the GM standard for drum placement so if you use 3rd party midi files the notes will play the right sounds.br
br
Im sorry you dont like how we layed out the kits… feel free to make your own. most producers will completely bypass the kits and drop single samples in as needed.

If these were free packs included with a yearly subscription, that would be one thing. They are NOT worth $57 dollars as a stand-alone purchase.br
br
I bought these based on my experience as a Web Pass Gold subscriber and ANA user. I purchased both ANA add-on sound packs — they are outstanding. ANA is an incredible value and would be a bargain at twice the price.br
br
Want to improve these packs and add value to them? Make several drum kits, include some midi drum loops of those kits, name the samples properly so they show up as something intelligible in the clip slots, and create an .alp archive that properly installs the content.br
br
Every other experience I’ve had with Sonic Academy has been excellent. I feel that this product does not measure up to your otherwise high standards. The current presentation is sloppy and unprofessional.

OK thanks for the feedback we will look in to it.

I feel obliged to come to the defence of Sonic Academy here!br
br
I can’t help think that certain people (no names mentioned) literally want their hands to be held the entire way through making a track! That’s really not the way it should be done.br
br
Personally, if i pay good money to buy samples, i ask for two things and two things only - firstly, that the samples are of excellent quality, and secondly that they fit the genre they are supposed to. From what i have heard of the sonic academy samples, they score very highly in both these areas.br
br
As a ‘producer’, you should be perfectly capable of going through a bunch of samples and working out whether each one is a kick drum, clap, hat etc! br
br
And who the hell, in this day and age where there is a strong emphasis on trying to create a unique style and carve out your own little niche sound, wants to keep loading entire kits where every single sample that you will use in the track has been selected and set up for you?br
br
Do some leg-work yourself - choose your own samples, be a little bit creative, learn for yourself which kinds of sounds go together!br
br
My opinion is that if you are moaning about the quality of the samples packs from Sonic Academy, you’re either very incapable as a producer, or very lazy!

[quote]davidmclean[hr]I feel obliged to come to the defence of Sonic Academy here![/quote]br
This should be good.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]I can’t help think that certain people (no names mentioned) literally want their hands to be held the entire way through making a track! That’s really not the way it should be done.[/quote]br
I complained about the quality of these sample packs so that means I want my hand held throughout the making of a track? I guess you can also assume from my complaint that I want Sonic Academy staff to come over to my house and make me a sandwich.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]From what i have heard of the sonic academy samples, they score very highly in both these areas.[/quote]br
From what you’ve heard? So you don’t even own these packs? LOLbr
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]As a ‘producer’, you should be perfectly capable of going through a bunch of samples and working out whether each one is a kick drum, clap, hat etc![/quote]br
Screw you and your condescending jab. I started my career in audio post in 1989 with a Digidesign Sound Tools rig, so I’ve been doing this a while.br
br
The only, with the emphasis on ONLY, reason I bought these packs was because they were advertised as having Ableton Drum Racks, with the emphasis on plural, or in language you might be able to understand, more than one. UD Dubstep [which is one pack I didn’t even want] had three racks. UD Trance, UD Progressive and UD Main Room House had one rack each. br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]And who the hell, in this day and age where there is a strong emphasis on trying to create a unique style and carve out your own little niche sound, wants to keep loading entire kits where every single sample that you will use in the track has been selected and set up for you?[/quote]br
Wow, how presumptive of me when buying a product that advertises itself as having Ableton Drum Racks, to actually expect some well organized and properly made racks!br
br
I want kits because I like to spend time trying to make songs, and not monkeying around making presets. Maybe you’re some awesome producer that does this for a living, but a lot of us here have day jobs and can’t afford to hire a production assistant.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]Do some leg-work yourself - choose your own samples, be a little bit creative, learn for yourself which kinds of sounds go together![/quote]br
FU! I’ll work any way I choose to.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]My opinion is that if you are moaning about the quality of the samples packs from Sonic Academy, you’re either very incapable as a producer, or very lazy![/quote]br
Wow… who is this guy? br
br
So according to the wisdom of David McLean, because I’m not satisfied with a purchase I made from Sonic Academy, I’m a lazy and incapable producer! It probably makes my a bad lover and a hater of puppies and children.br
br
Seriously man, who in the f are you to interject yourself into this discussion? No one asked you, so STFU.

This is a forum.br
br
The whole purpose of a forum is to encourage healthy debate and a variety of opinions, because posts are open to anyone who signs up.br
br
If you want to have a private conversation without the chance that anyone else will comment - then send a private message. I would have thought that was obvious?br
br
Otherwise, when you air your views in the way you did i.e. rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, childish, and just basically completely unnecessarily hostile, then you invite other members like me, who have more respect and have been taught to speak to people in a mature, civilised manner, to step in and air my views.br
br
Your attitude skinks mate. So don’t be surprised when people pull you up on it. Most of the people in this forum are polite, corteuous and have lots of respect, so currently you’re not fitting in very well.

Jeez guys calm down. br
br
Banjo I can understand your point, but it would help if you would be calm about it. People will be a lot more receptive if you don’t take personal digs at them. br
br
Remember, this isn’t a particually large forum so people will probably remember you for bad posts more than they would good ones!br
br
br
It would be nice to have well thought out packs installed with them, it’s always nice to have a set pack that fits really well together and easy to get the flow going with! I personally have the packs and use them a fair amount (although I would normally use a fresh drum pack as that’s just how I work) and think netherless the samples are great for the money. br
br
Maybe you email their support to clear the issue that you have? It would stop a flame war…

[quote]davidmclean[hr]This is a forum.br
br
The whole purpose of a forum is to encourage healthy debate and a variety of opinions, because posts are open to anyone who signs up.[/quote]br
Evidently to you “healthy debate” means interjecting yourself into a conversation that doesn’t involve you, and insulting my skill level because I was unsatisfied with a purchase I made.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]If you want to have a private conversation without the chance that anyone else will comment - then send a private message. I would have thought that was obvious?[/quote]br
You were the one who stepped into this conversation and threw around some veiled and no-so-velied insults. And after doing so, you have the balls to take me to task about having a private conversation? Take your own advice.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]Otherwise, when you air your views in the way you did i.e. rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, childish, and just basically completely unnecessarily hostile, then you invite other members like me, who have more respect and have been taught to speak to people in a mature, civilised manner, to step in and air my views.[/quote]br
The only questionable comment was that I felt whoever made the Ableton rack was lazy. It is a valid criticism and I stand by it. Look at the screen shots I posted. Slot names should be something intelligent, no 90 slots with nothing more visible than “UD Dubstep”. br
br
If my buddy next door wants to provide me with a free drum rack and prepend the file names such that the meaningful part doesn’t show up in the clip slot, then I have nothing to complain about. But if I pay for a product that I’m not happy with, I can and will make my views known. If you don’t like my attitude, tough ****. I don’t exist on this earth to please you.br
br

[quote]davidmclean[hr]Your attitude skinks mate. So don’t be surprised when people pull you up on it. Most of the people in this forum are polite, corteuous and have lots of respect, so currently you’re not fitting in very well.[/quote]br
OK, I see how it works. You feel justified in insulting me because I’m the new guy and I complained about something. Since you’re the self appointed arbiter of this forum I’ll run my questions by you before I post them next time.br
br
Just to remind everyone who’s reading this, this guy doesn’t even own the sample packs I’m talking about, and I have no idea if he’s an Abeton user. He feels it’s his place to insult my abilities as a “producer” [something which I never claimed to be] and called me lazy because I expected some actual drum racks for a product that claims to have them!br
br

[quote]xpa (01/07/2013)[hr]Jeez guys calm down. br
br
Banjo I can understand your point, but it would help if you would be calm about it. People will be a lot more receptive if you don’t take personal digs at them. br
br
Remember, this isn’t a particually large forum so people will probably remember you for bad posts more than they would good ones!br
br
It would be nice to have well thought out packs installed with them, it’s always nice to have a set pack that fits really well together and easy to get the flow going with! I personally have the packs and use them a fair amount (although I would normally use a fresh drum pack as that’s just how I work) and think netherless the samples are great for the money. br
br
Maybe you email their support to clear the issue that you have? It would stop a flame war…[/quote]br
I apologize, but that other guy was being a ****. He doesn’t know me, but he somehow feels he can insult me because I’m not in the mood to organize my own kits. Not only that, by his own admission he doesn’t even own Ultimate Drums.br
br
Here’s the thing about me. I hate doing studio busy work. Well, no that’s not really true… I actually kind of like it. My problem is that I’ll do crap like that for hours on end instead of making a song. I wanted to purchase something where the busy work had already been done.br
br
Here’s what the description for Ultimate Drums - Main Room House says:br
br

[quote]Also included are pre made kits in Ableton Drum racks[/quote]br
What do you infer form this ad copy? They are using the plural — twice. If you’re advertising kits and racks, it is perfectly reasonable for me to assume there will be more than one. Main Room House has one rack/kit.br
br
I don’t know if you’re an Ableton user, but normally when a company sells kits, the clip slots are properly named and they’re arranged somewhat intelligently. In my opinion this product falls short. Keep in mind I’m talking about the Ableton portion specifically. This is not a criticism of the production values of the samples themselves.br
br
My point is that if you’re going to advertise something, live up to it.

I’m closing this as I feel it’s run it course… We are always open for constructive criticism of our products as we want to improve as much ad anyone. It just really winds me up people calling names and being impolite.br
br
I will have a look at how the packs are put together.br
br
Thanks eveyone for sharing! Nothing wrong with a bit if heated debate if its kept pretty friendly. Now everybody kiss and make up and go male some tunes!