"Keep yourself focused" - Half Synthwave, half EDM

Here we are again, trying to give a new track a test drive. A new track for the OST of the upcoming retro videogame “Bouncerback”. I’m mostly worried about the overall balance, as it has lots of ingredients developed over time. A real drum section is stacked on top of a analog one, doubled synths for a Blade Runner-like sound, using Sennheiser AMBEO instead of reverb to position sounds in the mix, and even a electric guitar playing chords background (first time playing an electric guitar, go figure).

Here it is: “Keep yourself focused” by Man from Space.

https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace/i-am-a-robot-keep-yourself-focused/s-jrVP5

Thanks

1 Like

That Soundcloud link does not work for me, even when logged into my account, track not found :blush:

Edited and fixed link! Thanks for checking!

1 Like

Hi again @nachenko,

Nice track and arrangement, found it interesting and entertaining all the way through, which is a good thing :wink:

You did a pretty good job for mixing & mastering too, did you use BX-Masterdesk or iZotope on this one ?

Only thing I would perhaps do is taking care of the higher frequency range synths, maybe cutting some unwanted frequencies in the high range and reduce some levels, it might help your bass to be a bit more in the front. Also your kick is cutting through a lot with an heavy transient and tonal range and since it’s a quite short one and very percussive, it could be good to reduce it’s level.

But again very nice track and great job :wink:
Good luck with this video game audio work !

Adiós Ignacio, keep on the good work and catch you next time here or on th FB Group :slight_smile:

Cheers !

Edit : BTW, this Sennheiser AMBEO you mentioned, is it the free “orbit” plugin from there ?

Thanks for checking, I’ll write a proper response later.

Yes, when I mentioned AMBEO I was talking about that free Sennheiser plugin. Worth checking.

1 Like

At last.

@Tekalight, I tweaked levels a bit, following your advice. But something that has been puzzling me is that I’ve been using Goldfrapp’s “Oh La La La” and Todd Terje’s “Delorean Dynamite” as reference today… and they sound super shiny, with not too much bass, in a good way. Looking at the spectrogram, they are a bit higher on the 2K (Todd Terje) and 4k-8K (Goldfrapp). Mine has more bass but it doesn’t look that different on the spectrogram. Other than that, both Goldfrapp and Todd Terje sound FANTASTIC.

Maybe I’ve been ignoring those mid-high ranges, letting the high end over 10K going too far, and worrying too much about having a super deep bass 50-100Hz.

I’ve applied a different mindset on my latest track, less obsessed about punchy everything and catchy FX and more about doing something simple but trying to get a catchy melody. I hope I did the right thing. It’s too early to say, I just finished the “first master” today.

Again, thanks.

1 Like

Well, it really depends what final feel and color you’d like to get for that track indeed :wink:
It’s true we have a tendency to focus and put the low end first when it comes to anything electronic music, myself included :smile: