KICK 2 causing occasional Crash in Reaper (rendering audio kick in the GUI & dragging it onto an audio channel)

Keeps crashing when dragging WAV to Reaper (WIN 10 x64 - everything up to date)

Hey there @New_Loops

It’s not exactly clear what you’re doing to get that crash TBH.

“when dragging WAV to Reaper” →

• Are you trying to drag the audio Kick 2 rendered file from KICK 2 's GUI onto an audio channel in reaper ?

• Or are you trying to drag/import your own external .wav files onto the clicks slots inside KICK 2’s GUI ?

• Is this issue happening in all projects and since always or did it started to strike after a Reaper or Kick 2 update ?

• Do you have ONLY the 64bit KICK 2 VST plugin installed and not both 32bit & 64bit, you should only installed the 64bit pluign if your DAW & OS are in 64bit.

Have you tried to change the way KICK 2 plugin is managed by Reaper. I don’t own Reaper but according to the manual & forums, there’s a setting in Preferences/Plugins/Compatibility menu where the VST bridging/firewalling drop-down can be set set to either “In Separate Plugin Process” or “Automatic” Bridging. Have you tried to switch from one to another to check if that makes any difference ?

But a clear step by step description or even a short video would help, as well as your OS, DAW and Kick plugin versions number : “(WIN 10 x64 - everything up to date)” doesn’t really help for trouble shooting.

Sorry I thought “dragging WAV to Reaper” was quite clear. Maybe I should have added the word “generated”? - drag an generated kick to an audio track.

Just 64 bit installed. Happened from first install just the other day. Wish I had time to help with making videos but I have moved on to other projects now.

Maybe other Reaper users had a crash. Generally it works well but thought I would report it.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply & clarifying this.

That’s why I asked more details because this hasn’t been reported by other Reaper users ( at least not on the forums ), so I wanted to make sure about what’s really happening.

So it looks like it’s more some occasional crash when rendering and dragging the generated audio kick to an audio track. Maybe you should report this on Reaper’s forums too. I spent some time checking there as well as searching for relevant bit of information on the manual, so maybe it’s worth trying to switch the previous mentioned settings next time you face this issue. Will update the post title to reflect this for other users.

Always difficult to determine if it’s the plugin or the DAW causing that kind of random crashes, it gets more close to suspect a bug in one or another when the issue is really recurrent.

At some point it might be good to open a ticket with Reaper support to see if they are able to replicate this, same goes with S.A support, you can open a ticket here.

But again, hard to trouble shoot if it’s not happening all the time. Thanks for reporting this :wink: