Kick 3 Thoughts & Requests

Hello Beta Team,

My first impressions of Kick 3 are excellent. I REALLY liked the import feature as this creates infinite possibilities without needing to go too far on sound designing itself.

In addition to being a producer, I’m mostly interested in Kick 3 as a sound designer, and I’m mentioning this as it is important to my feedback.

PS. I couldn’t embed many images because I’m new in the forum, and I also can’t put many links, so I’ll likely break these down in the comments

#1 IMPORT FEATURE
The Import feature is really nice and gives the user a really nice opportunity to sample a kick they liked, and spin it with a different attack or something like this. At the same time, as a sound designer, sometimes I’m trying to recreate a kick, and I’d love to be able to compare the original imported kick to the end result

For example: I import a kick, it analyzes it and it gets extremely close, but not 100% the same (as I point out with the yellow lines. But, still, to compare it, I need to export the kick, and put it side by side with the original kick.

If we could see the ‘sampled audio’ and the main kick together, inside KICK 3, that would be amazing

1 Like

#2 AMP and PITCH at the same time
It would be awesome to see AMP and PITCH at the same time, if the sound designer feels like it, why not allow that? Yes, it could get too crowded, but it would also give them the ability if they wish to. One less tab to keep on clicking if they wish to see it all at once

#3 AMP in ‘real scale’
When adjusting the AMP, it’s good to have more space and see what’s actually happening, but it feels a bit ‘out of scale’. For example, if I make an adjustment in this curve over here

The impact wouldn’t be aligned with the AMP CURVE, as you can see

I feel that it could be most helpful to have an option to see them aligned. Yes, it could make things a bit too squished in the AMP view, but, at the same time, it could make things easier to understand when tweaking the AMP knobs.

The main issue for me is that the AMP is not aligned with the PITCH curves, which makes it a bit confusing to me.

1 Like

For example, this is how KICK NINJA, from THE HIM, does it

#3 EQ Allow a bigger block size and Refresh Rate
At the moment, it feels like the EQ block size is at 2048 blocks, but I would love if you could set it to 16384. Why?
The way that you see the curve is different depending on the block size. For example… 2048

and 16384 blocks

This, again, allows for more flexibility in how you see the kick

#4 AI Generation
I don’t feel that’s the priority here, but it would be a REALLY cool feature to have
Based on the kicks that you’ve generated, Kick 3 keeps the waves locally in your computer and this trains an AI model. Then, after many kicks that you’ve kept and trained the AI model, you can press ‘give me a kick’ (according to some parameters that could be set). Then, Kick 3 essentially will be able to create you a sample pack for kicks

#5 Distortion Curve
Stealing the idea from KICK NINJA, it would be nice to have a DISTORTION curve as well so we can distort the kick based on a curve and not on a FX that applies to everything. For example

This is the kick as it is, and now with distortion

This way you can go further in customizing your kick

#6 Kick View - ‘zoom to fit’ view
It would be nice to have a ‘zoom to fit’ view, where the kick view would zoom from the beginning till the end of the kick, and nothing else. Why?

What matters to me in this curve is the blue part, and not the red one.

Take a look at how Kick Ninja does it:

The moment the kick hits the zero crossing, I don’t really need to see it. Of course, if the user wants to see that, he can zoom out/in… this would just be a setting that would allow the user to always ‘zoom to fit’ and keep it tight from the moment the kick starts till the zero crossing mark

So far, this is what I’d love to see on Kick 3, but really excited about the release of this plugin!

best,