Kick Appreciation Thread

Any Genre. Stick your nominations / recommendations / pointers to tracks with PHAT clean Kicks @ the start here.

Please Embed YT links too.

PS I’m not advocating sampling from YT by the way! ;) :stuck_out_tongue: :laugh:

<EMBED style=“WIDTH: 353px; HEIGHT: 248px” height=248 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=353 src=- YouTube allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”>

the key here is compression man …

make sure you have at least 4db reduction on your threshold with 4:1 ratio

hit your attack on your comp @ around 14ms .

start with maximum /long release and slowly bring it down till it pop’s out

4 me this works on any kick im making

The fast release and higher attack gives the kick a kinda clean distortion that makes it appear to be louder than it actually is because of the extra harmonics added by the distortion … but in context with your track just sounds PHAT and solid :slight_smile:

Just the way i do it but please feel free to disect and cuss me hahahahahaha:D

Egg-cellent! :wink:

Thanks for that. Cool tip. Will try it out :cool:

More Tips / Kicks! :hehe:

P.s My favourite track of the last ten years (macabre) :smiley:

Haha! It was the right bait so! LOL

Love that track too - where the voice comes in during the middle… brilliant.

ive always liked the kick from this, has a sort of “metallic tick” on the top. cant really hear it on this clip, but you all know the score :slight_smile:

icn, mine is bigger than yours lol

Yup - Thats a nice big 'un! :slight_smile:

[quote]Mussi81 (22/01/2011)[hr]ive always liked the kick from this, has a sort of “metallic tick” on the top. cant really hear it on this clip, but you all know the score :slight_smile:[/quote]

and mussi follows it up with my absolute favorite track of …well forever :w00t:

Both class tunes guys :slight_smile:

that kick from hardfloor is a 909 kick with some nice analogue saturation… pretty easy to replicate.

Hey Phil,

Kinda a “how long is a piece of string” type question probably… But any tips for doing something like that on a 909 kick?

Whenever I try doing something like that, its just sounds distorted & fuzzy… lacking bass.

Can you give a rough idea of what you should do? Overdrive / Compression / then EQ it up again? I dunno… Pissing in the wind a bit :slight_smile:

Never happy with what I end up with.

@ICN: Parallel compression is always good. Basically you have two of the same kick playing (loads of ways to set this up), compress the crap out of one of them, probably overdrive it to get that high end you want, then don’t do too much with the other sample, maybe EQ up the subs (I mean like 60-100hz region) a bit to give you a nice low end. Then balance volume of the two out using the track volumes or something, depends on how you set it up.

I dunno, there’s lots of ways to do this, mine not be the best. But look up parallel compression.

Gedeon… Nice one Man!! Lots of stuff to try here.

Key is I suppose: Its good to have a plan - LOL.

Getting lots of ideas. Hope this thread continues for a bit more. I was hoping for some examples of inspirational kicks… But the advice has been an unexpected bonus.

Keep 'em coming everyone. Thanks again G :cool:

[quote]gedeon (22/01/2011)[hr]@ICN: Parallel compression is always good. Basically you have two of the same kick playing (loads of ways to set this up), compress the crap out of one of them, probably overdrive it to get that high end you want, then don’t do too much with the other sample, maybe EQ up the subs (I mean like 60-100hz region) a bit to give you a nice low end. Then balance volume of the two out using the track volumes or something, depends on how you set it up.

I dunno, there’s lots of ways to do this, mine not be the best. But look up parallel compression.[/quote]

Cool tip mate :cool:

No problem guys, glad it helped :smiley:

Egg - Tried your advice Mate. Heard it pop out alright when I shortened the release.

Much better - Thanks so much for that.

Nice one egg - this works a treat :cool:

[quote]egg2 (22/01/2011)[hr]the key here is compression man …

The fast release and higher attack gives the kick a kinda clean distortion that makes it appear to be louder than it actually is because of the extra harmonics added by the distortion … but in context with your track just sounds PHAT and solid :slight_smile:

Just the way i do it but please feel free to disect and cuss me hahahahahaha:D[/quote]

[quote]slender (31/01/2011)[hr]Nice one egg - this works a treat :cool:

[quote]egg2 (22/01/2011)[hr]the key here is compression man …

Just the way i do it but please feel free to disect and cuss me hahahahahaha:D[/quote][/quote]

yeah i did this as well, top man! :wink:

Honestly, its right up there!! :cool: