Kick *** Kicks and Get that Sound Now LIVE! YEEEESSS!

Kick /-\ss Kicks

Fed up and frustrated by spending hours looking for kicks (of the musical type)? This week’s latest series of Tech Tips is your answer.

Over the course of 4 Videos and as a lead in to the massive up-coming Progressive House Tutorial, Sonic Academy CTO Phil Johnston shows you in detail how to design kick drum synth sounds using Ableton’s powerful instrument rack. Find out how to combine the clicks and whomps to create up to 1400 different combinations.

Get that Sound - Xpander Lead Synth

Kick starting the progressive house collection of videos, we show you how to get the spaced out lead sound from Sasha’s Xpander - one of the most popular progressive house tracks of all time. edit -(This is properly awesome. phil.)

Trouble In The Redlight District - Bass

Using the Sylenth1 we show you how to create this thick saw bass sound made popular by Tomcraft & Jerome Isma-Ae’s song.

Trouble In The Redlight District - Pluck Sound

In the 2nd part of this section we pick out the pluck sound from the song and show you how to recreate this with ease.

Sweet! Thanks Phil!

phil is god

Bry did the get that sounds btw… the xpander one is mentally close!!! go on Bry!!yoooo!

[quote]phil johnston (04/06/2010)[hr]Bry did the get that sounds btw… the xpander one is mentally close!!! go on Bry!!yoooo![/quote]

Is that still the liquor talking?

[quote]phil johnston (04/06/2010)[hr]Bry did the get that sounds btw… the xpander one is mentally close!!! go on Bry!!yoooo![/quote]

can we get bry to make a Sonic Academy soundbank for sylenth for paid members :slight_smile:

[quote]jon_fisher (05/06/2010)[hr][quote]phil johnston (04/06/2010)[hr]Bry did the get that sounds btw… the xpander one is mentally close!!! go on Bry!!yoooo![/quote]

can we get bry to make a Sonic Academy soundbank for sylenth for paid members :)[/quote]

hahaha that would be sweeetttttt

Just watched the tutorials through from start to finish. Genius.

bry is also god!!

Loving the start to the progressive house tutorials cant wait for more.

Could you explain more on the “Trouble In The Redlight District - Bass” rather than just the offbeat bass as there seems to be another bass that supports it. It sounds low subby and rolls when it kicks in at 1:31. Sine wave? Pattern??

Really nice tutorial and enjoyed going through it. Good to see some more technical aspects being looked at rather that just aiming at specific genres. However, its kinda left me wishing you’d have gone a bit more into the actual art of mixing them, selecting the right kicks, how to build on the collection, etc.

Also would have been nice to see a video showing some examples of how to go in and use the soundbank that was made in a track production scenario. I’m using Logic+Battery here so for me its the theory behind the videos that helps me out! :slight_smile:

I ll try to add to it… think im missing some whomps that i use a lot… ill try to add to the sound bank and also show you how to edit the kicks… after the prog tut of course.

hey phil,

why didnt you put an lowpass filter, on the LOW kicks and High pass on the higher

kicks?

wouldn´t the frequencies clash of both sounds?

i basically did… just not in ableton… all the sounds are pre-prepared.

you could totally do it that way tho. Ill defo expand on this the next free time i get.

Could you explain more on the “Trouble In The Redlight District - Bass” rather than just the offbeat bass as there seems to be another bass that supports it. It sounds low subby and rolls when it kicks in at 1:31. Sine wave? Pattern??

Hi guys, could someone explain how to trigger the kick in the kickasskicks preset. I loaded up my own samples into low and high, but I still don’t get any sound from my midi roll.

I’ve followed the awesome tutorial and created my own Kick A$$ Kicks Set (with an added macro too - EQ Frequency), but I don’t know how to do one thing…

I’ve picked a set of sounds I like, how do I render that out o use as a sample in another track? Certainly I don’t want the entire setup in my tracks, just that perfect kick I found for it.

Which DAW are you using?

fist-bump for the one year bump

Ableton - and fool me for doing the tutorial late in the evening and not thinking, figured it out myself on the train on the way home tonight.

It such a time saver for when you are making a song! is there anything similar to Logic Pro? It would be awesome if someone could give me some tips on this!