Kick Making Tut

Any chance of a tech tip for makeing kicks from synths like waldorf attack and the use of transient designers on them etc

I seen a dvd from rick snowman recently where he went over this and cover stuff about the notes in the kick etc etc.

So I’d love to see something like this from sonic which also show us how to make different styles of kicks like a trance kick or house etc.

I’d like to see this too.

have you tried uTonic demo ? really easy to use and creates some decent kicks , but very good perc and snares in my opinion.

I had actually started work on one… Ill get it up this week.

Phil…

Will you do a bit on Tech Kicks with Reverb on them?

I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

Normally I’ll duplicate the kick. stick a reverb on it. hipass it, then add it back in.

Stick a gate on the reverb channel also, then send a little of that to the main reverb just to smooth it a bit, but would like to see what pratical advice y’d have on it.

Will post a track tomorrow.

here’s a couple i’d like to know. the pitch seems higher in parts of the kick than all my samples as transpose dont work. a wee tut on ones like this would be ace.

Two kick examples if they are in time Phil

Ben Klock - Pulse

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=Ben Klock - Pulse (Klockworks) - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

and

A kick from old tech records. How do you go about making the tail on the kick?

KICK AND BIT.wav - 0.07MB

Know/think its reversed reverb? But I’d appreciate if you could have a look :cool:

TBH the majority of those kicks are un synthesisable… its really just a case of finding good starting samples.

The kick tuts ive done are really about analog style kicks.

Although the Sylenth seems to do a half decent trance kick with more extreme settings.

Kicks are really made up of just clicks and booms as in the kick *** kicks tut finding the right click will get you half way to getting the right sound.

Clicks are easy to steal from records as you can normally find them on their own… its usually just the booms that are corrupted with other stuff on top.

The kick tut im doing will help you create tuneable booms to sit under your clicks.

Sounds cool… Look forward to it :slight_smile:

[quote]phil johnston (22/04/2011)[hr]TBH the majority of those kicks are un synthesisable… its really just a case of finding good starting samples.

Although the Sylenth seems to do a half decent trance kick with more extreme settings.

Kicks are really made up of just clicks and booms as in the kick *** kicks tut finding the right click will get you half way to getting the right sound.

Clicks are easy to steal from records as you can normally find them on their own… its usually just the booms that are corrupted with other stuff on top.

The kick tut im doing will help you create tuneable booms to sit under your clicks.[/quote]

So if their un synthesisable then how are they made? I kinda got near by layering a boom with a tin, some processing like spl tranisent designer and twin tunes on it…

so I’m guessing thats one way?

Yeah… Can there be a Pt2 then…

Layering kicks, as audio… bouncing different versions & reforming them into a a new monster. Looking at the compression & different treatments ( Transient Shaping / distortion, reverb, whatever…)

Is that possible?

[quote]gofunk (22/04/2011)[hr][quote]phil johnston (22/04/2011)[hr]TBH the majority of those kicks are un synthesisable… its really just a case of finding good starting samples.

The kick tut im doing will help you create tuneable booms to sit under your clicks.[/quote]

So if their un synthesisable then how are they made? I kinda got near by layering a boom with a tin, some processing like spl tranisent designer and twin tunes on it…

so I’m guessing thats one way?[/quote]

i know sean tyas is not layering his kicks. he just picks a realllllly good 1. works it to death.

he has probably like a dozen of them that he just reuses all the time.

now thats not to say that some of those kicks might have been constructed through layering.

but when he does the actual kick in the track its just 1 layer.

hopefully phil’s tut will explain how to get the clicks/boom right so you can create & layer yourself.

by synthesisable i meant by an analogue synth. most kick are the by product of many years of resampling and layering… eg.

think of it like the evolution tree of life but for kicks…

so like… it started with a single cell 808 then someone layered it with a lindrum kick now we have the linndrum/808 hybrid which was compress a certain way on that track in 82 which someone resampled and added a 909 kick to beef it up then that got compressed and mastered and resampled by the next guy and on and on until we reach modern day and millions and millions of variations are created from a small number of fundamental kicks. or something.

[quote]phil johnston (22/04/2011)[hr]by synthesisable i meant by an analogue synth. most kick are the by product of many years of resampling and layering… eg.

think of it like the evolution tree of life but for kicks…

so like… it started with a single cell 808 then someone layered it with a lindrum kick now we have the linndrum/808 hybrid which was compress a certain way on that track in 82 which someone resampled and added a 909 kick to beef it up then that got compressed and mastered and resampled by the next guy and on and on until we reach modern day and millions and millions of variations are created from a small number of fundamental kicks. or something.[/quote]

yah this totally makes sense. its basically the premise for all the sample packs that producers buy like Vengeance or Xfer that have tons of already layered/good sounding kicks. the trick is to just take the samples and make them yours. over time as a producer you will wind up with a real solid collection of go-to kicks that you wind up using on every track because you know they sound good.