Kick One User no more! - MacOS Catalina preventing me using!

Is anyone else getting the same problem? I need Kick 1. My backlog of projects use it. It is a wicked Plug in.
I will happily upgrade if my presets from Kick 1 get over from Kick 1.
But i am hoping i can still run Kick 1?

Please help. Big love all xx

Hi there @AJBS

Just to make it more clear, are you trying to install/reinstall Kick 1 and get a warning popup message from MacOS Catalina telling you that the installer can’t run or is Kick 1 already installed and not working inside your DAW anymore ?

Also thank you to specify what DAW ( + version ) you are using, especially if in the 2nd situation.

Hey Stephane,

Thanks for coming back so quickly. I am not trying to re-install it. It is already installed and it listed in the plugins manager.

In the the plugins manager - after i have ignored the error to allow me to open Logic x - the ‘compatibility column’ gives the message ‘crashed validation’.

The problem was upgrading my OS to Catalina this afternoon. On booting up logic X i got an error saying, ‘kick 1 demo has ended’ and logic would start up at all.

I am now in logic, but kick is not in my AU iNSTRUMENT list as Logic forces me to untick it from the plug ins list on start up due to the crashed validation.

Thanks for your support!
Al

What version of Logic Pro X are you using ? Are you on the latest 10.5.1 ?

I known that ANA v1.5 was reported broken with MacOS Catlina, I’m not sure about Kick 1 and I’m not able to test this configuration on my end. I will point this to S.A team ( this is just help from the forum here, not direct support from S.A ). You can submit a support ticket using this link but let’s try the following first.

Meanwhile you could try the followings : ( from simplest to most cumbersome )

1- Locate the Kick.component plugin in your AU plugins folder located in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components ( that’s the main MacOS library, not the user one ) move it ( not copy ) onto your desktop. Reboot your Mac, start Logic once then close it. Move back the Kick.component plugin file to it’s original location /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and start Logic Pro again.

2 - If that simplest trick doesn’t work then you could clear your AU plugins cache, but be aware that Logic will then need to rescan ALL your plugins after this, so that might take a while.

Here’s the procedure for this :

• Clearing the Audio Unit cache :

In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.
Type ~/Library/Caches in the “Go to the folder” field & Press the Go button.
Remove the “com.apple.audiounits.cache” file.
Remove the ~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache folder
Reboot your Mac.
The next time you start Logic, the installed Audio Unit plugins will be re-scanned and Logic should then startup normally.

3- Last thing you could do is to reinstall Kick 1 ( assuming that you have an archive of the installer ).

But again, all of that might not work if it’s an issue with Kick 1 begin broken with MacOS Catalina or/and the latest version of Logic Pro, that’s why it’s important to check & specify your specs like the following example :

MacOS Catalina version 10.15.6
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

For S.A team : @bryan_spence and @phil_johnston Hey guys, I’m sure about ANA 1.5 not being compatible since it was reported several times and confirmed, but I have no way to test this for Kick 1 : is it confirmed to be broken as well ? And if yes, would you know if it’s Catalina or Logic 10.5 ? Thank you.

The only reference I remember and could find on the forums is this thread, but I never had any user feedback in the end : Unable to validate Kick NRE

Hi Stephane,

I tried 1) and followed as per your script and it didn’t work unfortunately.

I then tried 3) and followed your script. I was too much of a coward to reload everything.

However, this time i was able to replicate the error in full and have taken a full set of screenshots which i will include in the support ticket i will raise.

To confirm my versions:

MacOS Catalina version 10.15.6
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

Thanks. I will use this thread to replicate progress of ticket so it may help others in my position.

Really appreciate the effort you have made in moving this forward!
Alex

1 Like

Support ticket raised Thursday 27th August @ 19.56 (BST) 20.56 CET.

Looking forward to hearing back and getting this rectified.

Alex

1 Like

Hi again Alex,

Happy if that could help, unfortunately not much more I can do on my end.

S.A support will get back to you but do keep in mind that Kick 1 is a discontinued product ( it’s not even available for sale anymore ) so I’m not sure what’s possible or not. Honestly if I was you, I will consider switching to Kick 2, I know it’s a pain because presets won’t be compatible and it involves sound design again in Kick 2, but in the end it will just be a switching time & it’s the best way to go IMHO.

Major MacOS updates have always been quite nasty, in the way that Apple doesn’t really care about developers & other companies, the habit I have taken, especially when it comes to audio & MacOS, is to force myself to stay at least one MacOS version below the current one. So unless you absolutely need one new feature from the latest one, avoid upgrading. Things aren’t probably gonna get better now that they have decided to move to internal ARM chips for their CPUs. So I think we need to stay careful more than ever with future updates. :wink: