Kicks!?

Hi all,hope evryone is well!

just an open topic about how people eq there kicks?

do you use 2 kicks a high and a low and if so what HZ do you set each at?

is it best to not eq a good solid kick from a sample pack?

any advice would be wicked

thanks

Single Kick

High Quality Sample

Tuned, Eq`d and Compressed if needed to taste :slight_smile:

Mark

hi mark thanks for reply!

what sort of eq do you add to your single kick?

when i set up a drum rack and eq and turn it down by 6db my kick sounds lost?? any advice?

cheers

jay

If youre laying two kick use your Envelopes to shape the layers if you want the snap of one kick remove the Sustain and modify the decay so you are left with the snap and vice versa if you want the body of the kick raise the attack only eq if theres Frequencies that may be cancelling each other out

You dont really need to layer kick drums. Just find a good sample and process that. Theres no set rules for eqing or compressing a kick as its all dependant on your track and the actuall kick sample.

Just make sure you tune your kicks.

[quote]jjdejong0 (03/09/2011)[hr]You dont really need to layer kick drums. Just find a good sample and process that. Theres no set rules for eqing or compressing a kick as its all dependant on your track and the actuall kick sample.

Just make sure you tune your kicks.[/quote]

Silly question perhaps but does anyone tune each of their drum parts (eg. snare, hats etc) or just the kick to emphasise the bass notes?

Ive come acroos this a few times know!

what do you mean tune your kicks??

you can change the pitch of a kick to have a closer match with your bass.

there are arguments for and against this.

for… it creates a more symbiotic relationship between the 2 sounds.

against… the 2 sounds can become too intertwined and blend in to a bassy mush.

it also very much depends on the style of track.

A simple solution is of course to not have a kick drum in your track :w00t:

[quote]dom_moulton (03/09/2011)[hr]A simple solution is of course to not have a kick drum in your track :w00t:[/quote]

Hahahaha

Or even better, NOT centering everything else in your mix around it as if it were the heart of your tune.

kicks…,schmicks…

I have actually heard a track through club speakers and the kick was not in tune with the bass. I can only describe it as awkward. I think it just sounds not right and weird. You dont really need to tune all your drums and percussion to the key of,your track. The kick however is pretty much the centre point of your jusic and wjat drives your track so ots very important that it works with the bass.

Another drum you may wanna tune is your clap/snare as that can also be a very important sound in yoir track.

But seriously tune your kicks. By tuning it doesnt mean if your track is in C that your kick must peak at C. Just get it to the closest note in your scale.

Also the whole problem of tuning kicks can be avoided if you use a drum synth to make yoir kicks as you controle the pitch and can just put the midi parts on the actuall note you want.

But trust me if your kick and bass arent tuned it will sound weird and wrong in a club.

How about starting with music and then working the kick in after to match?

Because you always need to get an idea for how,your track will sound, so you can vibe, dance etc and to gife you more inspiration.

Lots of people talking about the subject on the official Ableton ‘answers’ service: