Label Info Needed

Hey guys,

So I finally got some label attention, but I need to add into the contract a stipulation that says that if the tracks do not get release within i.e. 6 months then the contract will be null and void. The label already stated that they would be fine with this addition.

Do any of you, who have been signed, have the exact verbage for this clause?

I can go to my lawyer, but I’d rather do it for free.  :wink:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My words, not from a contract, so take it for what you will

"Both parties recognise that time is of the essence. [Label Name] shall use its reasonable endeavours to publish [Track] within [X period] of the date of this Agreement or within [Y period] from the acceptance by [Label Name] of the [WAV file for example] for [Track Name], wherever is the earlier. If at the expiry of [X period] from the date of this Agreement or [Y Period] from acceptance by [Label Name] of the [WAV File] [Label Name] has failed to release track for public sale in agreed media channel(s), the ARTIST shall be entitled to terminate the licence granted under this Agreement pursuant to clause [insert number of clause here that details termination] below. "

[quote]jbachjr78 (19/01/2012)[hr]Hey guys,

So I finally got some label attention, but I need to add into the contract a stipulation that says that if the tracks do not get release within i.e. 6 months then the contract will be null and void. The label already stated that theywould be fine with this addition.

Do any of you, who have been signed, have the exact verbage for this clause?

I can go to my lawyer, but I’d rather do it for free. :wink:

Any help is greatly appreciated.[/quote]

good idea. i have a track signed to a label since 2007 still awaiting a release

Also make sure you always check for the clause that some companies try where they require the next 3 tracks you make to be released with them.

Damn thats a long time Brian

Congrats jbach on the label intrests! I hope it all goes according to plan for ya!

And yeah, wtf 3 years!!! :pinch:

Have you talked to them about the release?

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully, someone out there has the exact verbage used. I’d like to look as professional as possible.

@JonSloan, that’s kind of what I was thinking as well, but I was hoping someone had that piece from a previous contract that they have already signed.

@Brian, That is exactly what I am afraid of, as this contract is also for 3 years. I’d hate to see nothing done with all the hard work. They said, “this is our standard contract, but if you want that clause then we can make an exception.” Personally, I don’t care if what I’m asking for is standard or not, I only care what is in my best interest. Its not worth the few hundred dollars that I’ll probably make off of it anyway.

@Mistropain, thanks for the compliment. Nothing is set in stone yet. :cool:

Update…

Sooo, I responded with the clause and the company decided to pass on my contract. I am completely fine with this as they obviously didn’t have any interest in what was important to me and they came to me. Afterall,I did not search them out, they came to me. I responded codially and that’s the end of that.

Well, onward and upward. :smiley: