Layering Sounds for a Melodic Drop

when I have a topline melody that is catchy and I like it and want it in the chorus I want it to sound big so obviously I layer it with chords from other synths but it sounds terrible. I am really struggling to get that big melodic drop like in tracks like Levels by Avicii.br
br
Any advice here would be great thanks. br
br
(of course i could do a dutch drop but everyone and their dog seems to be doing them)

to ask a dumb question, what defines a dutch drop?br
br
-r

Thats not a dumb question I just class all the mainroom drops now as dutch drops because thats where I first heard those kind of drops, so drops in songs like Animals, Epic and the majority of the beatport top 10.

ok, gotcha. so, on to your question. when you say layering with chords, can you describe a bit more what you mean? maybe give an example?br
br
-r

Not the same sort of music but this is quite useful (all be it silent) for how to build up a breakdown using layers of chords and filtering.br
br
[url]- YouTube

2 rules that really help. br
br

1. Keep the timing the same between chord stabs and leadbr
    br
  2. Make the amp env on the synth the same br
    br
    This is a good place to start the you can get creative and play with some variation.

Thanks for the reply guys. And rforbes i mean when you have a really nice catchy topline and want it to sound really big in the chorus so you layer it with chords, its just hard to get it sound good without destroying the sound. Thanks for the advice Phil will put it to use.br
br
A great example track of what I am talking about would be:br
br
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-mdv0Ix0_Qbr
br
The drop at 1:45 is what I am talking about.

this may be obvious so you might know this already, but just in case…br
br
make sure the chords and melody match key. so, for instance if your melody is in a minor key, make sure when you play the IV or V chord that they are major chords.br
br
-r

i think the bassline is just an equally important piece in that song you posted paul…its pretty solid going the whole time through and keeping the same rhythm with the lead while doing its own thing at the same time with the tape stop effect…maybe try creating a bassline you’re really happy with first and then follow it up with a lead sound with just some ridiculous side chain lol

Yeah rforbes when I make the topline I do it by first creating a chord progression just to ensure everything is in key, always find it much easier to do toplines when you have solid chord progression.br
br
And James for the bass i usually just copy and paste the lower notes from the chord progression, should i switch that up? And yeah sidechaining can be your best friend or worst enemy haha