Looking for some help changing the key of an acapella

can anybody point me in the direction of how best to go about changing an acapella from the key of A# Major to A minor or even A# Minor ?? br
br
i am using logic pro 9 or live 9 … how would you guys go about doing this? br
br
any help is much appreciated, br
br

I assume it’s in .wav format. If I were doing this in Live, I’d start off by importing it to an audio track (with warping turned off) and then adjust the overall pitch using the slider in the clip settings box to bring it down one semitone from A# to A.br
br
Then, to turn it from A to A minor, you should only need to flatten all the thirds, that is change every C# to a C. I don’t know of any quick way to do this other than finding one, selecting it and slicing it to become a new clip that you can then flatten with the pitch slider. Then find the next one, rinse and repeat.br
br
But I very much look forward to hearing from an expert that there’s a much simpler way…

thanks for the reply! br
br
sounds like a good starting point for me then! with me not being musically trained i guess its going to be difficult for me to find and adjust the 3rd :w00t:br
br
will try though! are there any plug ins / software to help me find the 3rd ?

In the key of A, the third is C. If you’ve got a keyboard, physical or virtual, you can play a C note then listen out for it. This could be good ear training.br
br
But in Ableton Live you can right-click the clip’s title bar on the audio track and select Convert Melody to new MIDI Track. This will put a new MIDI clip on a new MIDI track below the audio track. If you double-click this MIDI clip you can check out the notes and look for C notes. They’ll appear in the MIDI track below where they occur in the audio track.br
br
You’ll still have to go by ear to some extent as the MIDI track isn’t likely to be completely correct. It depends on how well Live can distinguish between coincident notes. But then you’re likely to have the same problem.br
br
EDIT: Of course, I’ve been assuming that your acapella consists of a single voice. If it’s more than one voice, all bets are off.

Cheers Garry that sounds a cool way to try out.br
br
I thought that particular function would be the same as in Logic Pro where you can convert audio to new sampler track. the midi notes are then used to play the different samples that logic takes when converting to the sampler track but the actual note position on the piano real means nothing in relation to the notes of the audio if you get mebr
br
will defo be looking at this method too… many thanks br
br
would be interested to hear from people who use this or any other methods too!

I thought that particular function would be the same as in Logic Pro where you can convert audio to new sampler track. the midi notes are then used to play the different samples that logic takes when converting to the sampler track but the actual note position on the piano real means nothing in relation to the notes of the audio if you get mebr
br
You could try converting to a Sampler track but a) while it should work reasonably OK with instruments, results would be fairly unworkable with a vocal; it’s likely it will pick up parts of words as single samples and several words as a single sample, and so on; and b) you might have problems retuning each of the samples.br
br
By all means give it a go, though. You might get something usable.

1 Semi Tone = 1/2 step br
br
1/2 step is the smallest musical interval.br
br
Moving up or down 1 key is a 1/2 step.br
br
Hope this helps.br
br
-Mattbr
br