Loose house grooves

Phil / Bryanbr
br
I’m really struggling at the moment working to get good loose house grooves. The kind of perc that you hear a lot in the deeper house styles. Any chance of a tech tip with some pointers?br
br
Cheersbr
Jon

any examples?

Thanks for replying so quickly Phil!br
br
So, essentially it is the interaction between all elements but mostly bass and perc I guess. It’s the way that the groove feels loose but the track still drives forward, without feeling that it’s dragging or slow. Whenever I try my attempts all feel too unfocused.br
br
I found it easier in the prog and techno genres where, to a degree, the bassline simply follows some musical line above it and the perc fits around that. I guess I’m just struggling when it’s looser and there’s more interplay between the different elements.br
br
Here are a few examples:br
br
Djuma Soundsystem Aki Bergen Ft. Lazarusman - Love Her Madlybr
[url]Djuma Soundsystem & Aki Bergen Ft. Lazarusman - Love Her Madly (Djuma Soundsystem Version) - YouTube
br
Jimpster - These Times (Manuel Tur Remix)br
[url]Jimpster - These Times (Manuel Tur Remix) [Freerange] - YouTube
br
Tube Berger - Imprint of Pleasurebr
[url]Tube & Berger - Imprint Of Pleasure (Original Mix) [Suara] - YouTube
br
Solomun - Kackvogelbr
[url]Solomun - Kackvogel (music video) - YouTube

have you tried extracting the grooves in ableton? br
br
nothing special i can hear going on here… there seems to be lots of room for the kick and bass… seems like all other parts are subtlety rolled of around 500-600hzbr
br
let me hear an example of where you are with one of your beats and ill see if i can diagnose

Thanks Phil. Here’s a track I finished recently. I decided to give this one away.br
br
[url]https://soundcloud.com/block-punch/block-punch-keep-on-unmastered/s-TEPrF[/url]br
br
Here’s a sketch I’ve stopped working onbr
br
[url]https://soundcloud.com/block-punch/lets-talk-sketch/s-Fqfq3[/url]br
br
For comparison, here’s a new sketch of straight up techno where everything just seems to gel.br
br
[url]https://soundcloud.com/block-punch/techno-sketch/s-SWhVP[/url]

That Hats in your tracks are quite high up the register… around 4-5k where the first 2 youtube videos you posted the hats are much lower… maybe 1-1.5kbr
br
The bass is much warmer too and higher in the mix… so maybe just bring your surrounding sounds down a bit… really try to keep the bass really low and top end stuff up high so there is almost a gap from 200-700 that you are keeping free.br
br
This will let your bass and kick have space to breathe while the top end stuff still cuts through but isnt muddy in the 200-800 region.br
br
Dont use sharp slopes on the EQs tho when you are cutting… make it all low Q settings this will give things a smoother overall sound.

Also different EQs will give a different sound Ableton EQ 8 and fabfilter have a precise clean sound.br
br
some of the Neve replications will give you a warmer vintage sound that is more suitable for this style.br
br
something like waves v-series

Thanks Phil. I’ll look into all that. I def tend to use high Q settings so I will dial that back.br
br
Is that all? I just feel my efforts sound so flat compared to the pros. Keep trying I guess. br
br
I appreciate your help.

yeah to my ears it sounds like your stuff everything is sitting on top of each other… a lot of the sounds are full range… this means you lose all impact of the bass and kick.br
br
if you dont have a good set of speakers it can be hard to hear the difference between a spectraly dynamic mix.br
br
as speakers get bigger this perceived dynamic gets wider… when you are on a club system the spread between low and high freqs sounds massive and iv eyou have everything sitting on top of each other it will sound muddy and terrible.

Nice tips there Phil. Thanks