Loss of quality uploading to soundcloud?

Is it just me or does the soundcloud player kind of put a dent in your quality? I can hear lots of little annoying clicks and pops that weren’t there, and sometimes bass just sounds harsh, almost distorted in comparison to playing the same file in itunes.

I know that they probably compress to mp3 or something, instead of having the player play the .wavs right? But is there any way around it, maybe something to do with dithering? and my track isn’t mastered if that has anything to do with it

do you mean on the main soundcloud site or widgets which are embedded on othewr sites like facebook?

widgets are compressed

The main site is compressed as well. The player streams music at 128kbps. The download button is the same file as is uploaded.

thats just soundcloud mate, not much you can do about it

that’s too bad :confused: alright, thanks guys.

Yeah its a shame but then everyone knows its like that - nothing we can do there are alternatives but s/cloud is the most popular

I think the loss of quality is a good thing, stops people ripping nice pristine wav’s of your work :slight_smile:

That’s a good point too Mussi. Yeah, I guess it’s not so bad, the quality is decent enough and if people really need a good quality file all they’ve gotta do is ask.

[quote]gedeon (05/02/2011)[hr]That’s a good point too Mussi. Yeah, I guess it’s not so bad, the quality is decent enough and if people really need a good quality file all they’ve gotta do is ask.[/quote]

Yeah and if people like a poor quality file they will love a mastered wav

According to their staff they are working on it. They are getting a lot of complaints about it, so they really ought to. I recently uploaded a sample with just a closed hihat loop playing low volume to test if Soundclouds encoder could encode the audio without glitching it up. It couldn’t :slight_smile: