Low pass high hats...?

hi

i know we obviously hi pass high hats to remove the unwanted frequencies but read that some also low pass them to remove the very highs… tis true? anyone here do it?

Yeah. I roll off the very very high frequencies to make my sound clearer. Depending on the sound, I would roll off 10khz and above. Possibly even lower, depending on the sound.

wowza really? i usually add a hi shelf at about 5k to brighten them :S

dont do that all the time. it could mean bad news. the rule of thumb is its better to cut then to raise. No need to hi shelf it, unless you are trying to achieve a specific sound. In other words, dont just do it, just to do it.

I have seen alot of other tutorials and CM/FM videos where they cut at about 10khz. I think thats the highest hearing goes. Possibly 7khz. I dont remember tbh. Contrary to belief, it is possible to muddy the hi end. Although it is tough to do. Hope this helps bro!

yes it does thanks howie.

quite amazed tbh… always thought it best to get the most sparkly and bright top end as poss.

you dont always need sparkly high ends. You will get that with alot of your sounds as it is.

depends on the track, too much high end sounds piercing on certain soundsystems

[quote]ctdf (21/03/2010)[hr]depends on the track, too much high end sounds piercing on certain soundsystems[/quote]

This. Nail on head basically.

Remember, it’s the high’s that cause tinnitus, don’t want to deafen your listeners, but again, no high end can make your track sound flat and dull… note: depends on track.

:smiley: :cool:

[quote]ctdf (21/03/2010)[hr]depends on the track, too much high end sounds piercing on certain soundsystems[/quote]

correct if something sounds sharp on your system it will sound 100* sharper on a big rig and possibly do some hearing damage if the dj suddenly does a filter sweep.

so howd you know when you got a good balance? not too much and just enough to make the track not sound dull?

pretty sure lower frequencies cause tinnitus as they have more ‘energy’ thats why you hear the bass outside a club more the the highs, but still not good to have loads of highs

na i think its the highs

[quote]jpgetty2win (21/03/2010)[hr]so howd you know when you got a good balance? not too much and just enough to make the track not sound dull?[/quote]

practice and comparing with other tracks

Just the highs. You feel bass, where as the highs, you hear.

[quote]kaya_marks (21/03/2010)[hr]pretty sure lower frequencies cause tinnitus as they have more ‘energy’ thats why you hear the bass outside a club more the the highs, but still not good to have loads of highs[/quote]

most health and safety videos will tell you that its the frequencies around the 3500 to 4500 range that will cause this problem.

many believe that any frequency at high db for prolonged periods will cause it.

how ever there is still currently ongoing research into this some reports say that there is not connection between loud music and hearing loss while other groups say that a number of people have been effected.

many of the groups involved in the research all agree that hearing loss and tinnitus can both be linked to age, some say that if you are going to get it then avoiding loud music won’t really matter.

ah, i thought it was low freqs that caused ear damage, learn something new every day

Yeah it’s actually a very surprising misconception that the lows cause tinnitus but it’s actually the highs.

If you’re regularly in clubs or gigs it’s always advised to get youself some musicians earplugs (whether your a clubber, worker, DJ or musician), they range from professionally moulded (anything up to around £260+ although average is around £160) to £10 plug in ones (still pretty good and do the job).

They work by still letting in sound, but taking out the damaging frequencies, i wear them a lot in clubs and surprisingly you can actually hear people talking to you much easier, so you don’t need them screaming in your ear! Although it takes about 10 mins to get used to them once you’ve put them in, you still hear the sound fine and the music’s still very enjoyable to listen too.

Anyways there is a bit more information here:

[url=http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/index.php?q=node/50]Home - Tinnitus UK

Sorry i know slightly off topic but thought you may appreciate the information :slight_smile:

yeah cheers for that ppl, had a pair of those cheaper ear plugs used to use them all the time when going to a rave, but got to battered one night and lost them