Mackie D8B

I’ve seen in the backround of some sonic videos the Mackie D8B. Would really love to see of video on this kinda of mixing to find out more about the routing to a soundcard and the apogee cards and what is it exactly that is good about them to achieve “that sound”

nobody at sonic know what i d8b does? just for show aye…lol

its actually my old desk… i hate it.

sounds a bit grainy compared to the mixers in DAWs

+100, I had one to, so glad to get rid.

I’m aware there are alot of problems with some models.

I’m really suprised to hear you guys say this.

Strange that Dee Lievense techniques using his d8b makes some of the sweetest frequencies around in his tracks using this desk and this is word coming from his clients…

So the d8b is being played down here or maybe Sonic would be kind enough to shed some light in a video of “how to sound like Dee Ooost!”

erm, it’s personal preference isn’t it, he likes it they don’t.

You can’t have a go at the sonic guys because they don’t do an in depth revue of a bit of kit you are interested in.

davy is just a genius producer… the guy works 24/7 on producing tracks and has done for the last 15 year… he could make killer sounding tunes on calculator.

Its a great desk if you have lots of different clients as you can save the setups. It was the only option at the time… dave will tell you himself hes not a massive fan.

He used to work with a pro control 24 protools rig which he loved.

You are ALWAYS fighting with the d8b to find space, everything sounds really mushed together.

The new SSL one looks the ticket.

[quote]… he could make killer sounding tunes on calculator.

[/quote]

using additive or subtractive synthesis? can we have a tut on that :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]phil johnston (03/08/2010)[hr]davy is just a genius producer… the guy works 24/7 on producing tracks and has done for the last 15 year… he could make killer sounding tunes on calculator.

Its a great desk if you have lots of different clients as you can save the setups. It was the only option at the time… dave will tell you himself hes not a massive fan.

He used to work with a pro control 24 protools rig which he loved.

You are ALWAYS fighting with the d8b to find space, everything sounds really mushed together.

The new SSL one looks the ticket.[/quote]

a calculator haha, i understand the recall features. More interested in the I/O as im not making much sense of the connectivity to a daw for midi, mackie control system / audio transfer?

I have a fireface and aware the d8b work great with these type of dsps but no idea what connection it would use and how db8 talks to its own operatingsystem that talks to dsp then daw and then on top howtheaudio processing takes places using the eq and fx on the d8…

So if you’re always fighting for space would you say that its not the mixer thats making the crisp frequencies of clarity, I’ve studied many tracks of daves work and theressome sort ofsweet spot in all of them for the bass,mid, hirange, so not sureif its d8,his volume headroom placement, pan placement (he checks his d8 strip meters im told) and uses cubsxqudrafuz or is it someanother process? Let’s face it. The **** is in demand right now and i doubt an exciter is making them freqs but could well be!:slight_smile:

you connect to your computer with ADAT optical cables. you can have 3 boards 24 digital channels coming from your DAW.

there are 24 analogue inputs for synths and other stuff.

total of 48 + 8 aux returns

I think the quality of the productions is down to him having a great ear. Im sure he has goto EQs and FX but its his extensive knowledge of how much to apply to what are where is the difference.

One of the things i think sets him apart from other producers is the amount and intricacy of the extra FX hits percussion sounds and feedback delays etc. theres so much going on under the surface which adds an extra dimension.

I do think having a bunch of faders in front of you helps with mixing tho.

[quote]phil johnston (06/08/2010)[hr]

I think the quality of the productions is down to him having a great ear. Im sure he has goto EQs and FX but its his extensive knowledge of how much to apply to what are where is the difference…[/quote]

Yeah id like to learn more about his extensive knowledge, i know hes abit of a rocket but get him down for a video and throw a few vods into him.

understood…so adat, i could run the adat from the d8 to my adat on the fireface?

yeah for shizzle

and would you recommend any other kind of desk that does the same job for 1k to 2k? 2nd or 1st hand?

there is no need for a desk really… nice preamps and soundcard and a good control surface is most practical now.

focusrite saffire pro 24

focusrite octapre (if your recording bands)

euphonics MC-Mix

Set of mackies

around 2.5k for the lot