Make a good premix

Anyone could explain the premix process point by point, in order to be sure…

what i know:

1/ put all tracks at zero then mixdown all tracks one by one

2/ re-import in the sequencer

3/ apply eq and compress

4/ mixdown all tracks

5/ send to the mastering studio :slight_smile:

6/ PROFIT!

so I’m right?

:slight_smile:

There is a little more to it than that, that’s really just the basic level.

You want to be monitoring your eq curve for example, do you know 100% what your levels should be? It’s all very well mixing so it ‘sounds’ right, but is it really right? How do you know? What should be the loudest part of your mix? What areas should be peaking? Do you know what your EQ curve should look like for your particular genre? How are you getting everything to sit in the mix? Etc. What elements and frequencies are sitting in your mid and what are sitting in your sides? Not to mention proper EQing of your mid and side frequencies.

yeah I think so …at least I hope so…

If you want to mono a channel there are different ways to do this in Different DAW’s

Logic Click the little circle icon at the bottom of the channel

Ableton, Use Utility and pull the width to zero %

Personally i would only check the Mix or sound in mono and if it sounds good put it back to stereo :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (24/01/2011)[hr]Not to mention proper EQing of your mid and side frequencies.

[/quote]

you forgot to mention your round the back, upside down and inside out frequencies :wink:

[quote]Jon_fisher (24/01/2011)[hr][quote]Roben (24/01/2011)[hr]Not to mention proper EQing of your mid and side frequencies.

[/quote]

you forgot to mention your round the back, upside down and inside out frequencies ;)[/quote]

LOL

thxs Jon…

SPAN is great for monitoring your mono and side frequencies, you want to make sure your side frequencies arnt really hitting in your low end, although a little bit isn’t too bad sometimes depending on the track, personally i’d have always though it was bad to have any in your low end but having looked at some professional tracks, there have been some which have side frequencies in their low so clearly it’s ok. However it is very minimal.

Also make sure your side frequencies arn’t louder than your mid.

Try and check out the EQ curve of similar tracks to the genre you’re making and then when you’re studying the EQ curve of your own, try to make sure your mix gets a similar curve. If it’s not, then you know something is wrong. Note it doesn’t have to be ‘exact’, monitor numerous tracks of similar genre, they won’t be exact, but they will have similar consistancies.

FYI best to mix in mono.

This is all i can be arsed to type for now, i may come back to this but hope it helps.

ok thxs…

so I was ok with it … but better asking a silly question than making errors, isn’t it…

[quote]highfy (24/01/2011)[hr]ok thxs…

so I was ok with it … but better asking a silly question than making errors, isn’t it…[/quote]

It wasn’t a silly question :slight_smile:

• :slight_smile:

It’s not a silly question, it’s an area that’s clouded with a lot of mystery anyways, plus one that really fully understood. However if you try to pay for a professional to mix your track, you will find it costs at least 4 times as much as getting a professional to master your track. Because there is more to it than people think or realise.

yeah u right…:slight_smile:

i would just trust your ears mate and try not to get to much into what you read on the web.

bass really needs to sound the same coming from both speakers, when you sit at your desk and you have one monitor to your left and one to your right the sound needs to feel like it is coming from the centre (space between the two monitors) and a near consistent sound played through both monitors at the same time and volume will do that.

your kick drum should feel the same as well as maybe your snare and clap but hats and percussion hits should be panned slightly or even to the extreme to help the sounds seem like they are positioned out side of the placement of your monitors.

Turning sounds up and down and using effects like Reverb, delay, chorus, flange and phase will cause sounds to change position in your mix.

Turning sounds up and down will move sounds back and forth in the mix

Reverb will give space to sounds or can be used to make sounds sit back in the mix.

Chorus is good for widening sounds and Flange, delay and phase are good at giving a sound movement.

Slight variations in velocity and volume can give your sounds a real sense of movement and space in your mix.

Yes i was ok with it all …

but sometime I make thing more complex with thinking too much…and asking myself again and again …you know? :slight_smile:

so thank you again Jon to confirm what i was thinking to be right with making my tunes (urghh talkin’ bad english…sorry)…

maybe i’m not self-confident enough…

anyway you all nice guys … thxs a lot

sometime wanting to know more is your worst enemy lol as you start to doubt every little thing you do :slight_smile:

it’s clearly that…

To Roben:

a good plug in to avoid mid side probs and to get a better “approach” of it …

bx_solo - Brainworx

and it’s free …