Making drops big?

Hey guys, I’ve been doing this for a while now but I keep running into the same problem. I always seem to struggle to make my drops fat and full. They just lack impact and my bass doesn’t have the power that it should. Have you got any tips to make my drops bigger and fuller? I’m producing main room/progressive house

Its really about managing the the low freqs in the buildups so they arent too big… so you get a good punch when it kicks in.br
br
try cutting all the lows in the break and hipass filtering up towards the crescendo then use a reverb clap or something to crash back in.br
br
We have our Ultimate FX pack coming soon with some pre made builds which really helps in understanding whats going on and just dropping stuff in that you know will work.

Tips i would give are:br
br
(1) Make sure you mix both the kick and bass really loud in your track overall - that way when they crash back in after the break, they are gonna sound louder and have more impact.br
br
(2) Make sure you have enough bass in the track. You might need to add more bass frequencies really low by adding EQ around the 50-100Hz area to both the kick and bass elements.br
br
(3) Add white noise to the drop - this fills the entire frequency spectrum and therefore makes the drop sound louder and have more perceived impact.

This one is a bit more ‘brutal’ - but some producers simply raise the whole volume of the entire track by 1-3 dB when it drops, to make it louder than the rest of the track, and therefore have more impact.

im not sure i agree with this one… cant see it working in a club.

I know that instead of raising the volume of their drop, they lower the volume of their breakdown by no more than -1, -2db and then when it kicks back in, volume hits back to Odb.

Yeah true - what with the limiting and stuff in clubs, maybe the changes in volume won’t really make too much difference!br
br
But i have seen at least about 3 different tutorial videos from different producers each time who make professional tracks, where they did do this!br
br
Thinking about it a bit more - it might be another ‘symptom’ of some producers trying to make their tracks sound better on formats other than the club - like when played on Beatport or a home stereo etc.br
br
Guess if you think about it, there’s probably alot of producers out there now who make dance music and aren’t just thinking about playing it in a club. br
br
That’s kind of a shame but i’m sure it happens alot now!

Yea most things have already been covered, but just to add a little more on the white noise. If ya loop it so its constantly hanging in the air it can help with the excitement.br
br
And also another trick could be to change the kick. br
Have 1 slamming kick drum for the drop and a lighter one for the verses ect