Making of "Fatboy Slim - Gangster Trippin" in Ableton

hi guys,

just a little extra vid for you all

Love this, and reminds me of those Prodigy ones online too.

Inspires me to dig around in the Funk LPs to see what gems you can find, everything sounds so electronic these days - we need an old skool sampling come back!

i really enjoyed that, its amazing what you can do with samples. Also to think fatboy slim did it when Ableton was just a sperm in its daddies ballsac.

This video is full of win. Although it was annoying when you were modulating the bass but still had the other part above it solo’d on top, i wanted to hear just that one part being effected, it was difficult to hear what was going on when you were effecting the saturator.

Also just to be pedantic i’m pretty sure a sidechain compressor wasn’t used in the 90’s? :wink: heh

Wicked video though, thanks!! Also I like your idea, defo should help bring more people to SA.

[quote]Roben (25/02/2011)Also just to be pedantic i’m pretty sure a sidechain compressor wasn’t used in the 90’s? :wink: heh
[/quote]

Is this right? That would mean no side chain on Daft Punk Homework album as well (it is 2 years before this track)! When did side chaining start then?

Not sure, i was under the understanding that sidechaining only came about in more recent years???

[quote]Roben (25/02/2011)[hr]Not sure, i was under the understanding that sidechaining only came about in more recent years???[/quote]

A quick google search shows it has been around from the late 70s in the form of hardware compressors, it did come to Ableton very late though :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (25/02/2011)[hr]Not sure, i was under the understanding that sidechaining only came about in more recent years???[/quote]

i’m pretty sure it’s been around a longer than i’ve been alive!

I see… so how comes Cubase SX3 didn’t have it and in a lot of CM and FM videos producers talk about Sidechaining like it’s a relative new thing??? Weird :crazy:

I’m not debating with you by the way, it’s genuine curiosity as I actually don’t know, only been led to believe by these things.

[quote]Roben (25/02/2011)[hr]I see… so how comes Cubase SX3 didn’t have it and in a lot of CM and FM videos producers talk about Sidechaining like it’s a relative new thing??? Weird :crazy:
I’m not debating with you by the way, it’s genuine curiosity as I actually don’t know, only been led to believe by these things.[/quote]

Well it didn’t come to Ableton until Version 7, so maybe it was late coming to software compressors? Running two inputs into a plugin is difficult in Ableton, but I don’t know about other DAWs.

Early Daft punk tracks were done with the  Alesis 3630 which has sidechain and came out in the early 90s. They are only a few hundred pounds(EDIT: They are £99!). I did consider getting one, but I was told that the daft punk sound had mre to do with their skill because for most people the 3630 isn’t very good (I don’t know how true that is, but I tend to trust the guy that told me).

[quote]Roben (25/02/2011)[hr]I’m not debating with you by the way, it’s genuine curiosity as I actually don’t know.[/quote]

+1

Doesn’t the name itself come from the old hardware method of literally ‘chaining’ (ie connecting) the sidechain source into the hardware compressor, ie the outs from a drum machine into the inputs of a compressor.

I think its cos in the old days sidechaining was pretty hard to do as it was alot of hardware **** being used, now its just readily available and simplified.

[quote]TheAnt (25/02/2011)[hr][quote]Roben (25/02/2011)[hr]I see… so how comes Cubase SX3 didn’t have it and in a lot of CM and FM videos producers talk about Sidechaining like it’s a relative new thing??? Weird :crazy:

I’m not debating with you by the way, it’s genuine curiosity as I actually don’t know, only been led to believe by these things.[/quote]

Well it didn’t come to Ableton until Version 7, so maybe it was late coming to software compressors? Running two inputs into a plugin is difficult in Ableton, but I don’t know about other DAWs.

Early Daft punk tracks were done with the Alesis 3630 which has sidechain and came out in the early 90s. They are only a few hundred pounds(EDIT: They are £99!). I did consider getting one, but I was told that the daft punk sound had mre to do with their skill because for most people the 3630 isn’t very good (I don’t know how true that is, but I tend to trust the guy that told me).[/quote]

Alesis 3630 are considered to be very good value for money. There not the best by any stretch of the imagination but they are a very capable compressor.

sidechaining been going for a (love you) long time. the disco records used it and everything… which brings me to the conclusion mr daft punk might have been introduced to the advantages of sidechaining by his daddy disco super producer daniel vangarde…?

[quote]jpgetty2win (25/02/2011)[hr]sidechaining been going for a (love you) long time. the disco records used it and everything… which brings me to the conclusion mr daft punk might have been introduced to the advantages of sidechaining by his daddy discosuper producer daniel vangarde…?[/quote]

OOOH you cynic you :smiley:

[quote]Mussi81 (25/02/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (25/02/2011)[hr][quote]Roben (25/02/2011)[hr]I see… so how comes Cubase SX3 didn’t have it and in a lot of CM and FM videos producers talk about Sidechaining like it’s a relative new thing??? Weird :crazy:

Early Daft punk tracks were done with the Alesis 3630 which has sidechain and came out in the early 90s. They are only a few hundred pounds(EDIT: They are £99!). I did consider getting one, but I was told that the daft punk sound had mre to do with their skill because for most people the 3630 isn’t very good (I don’t know how true that is, but I tend to trust the guy that told me).[/quote]

Alesis 3630 are considered to be very good value for money. There not the best by any stretch of the imagination but they are a very capable compressor.[/quote]

The Alesis 3630 is garbage, however, what it does to drums (and occasionally bass) is really interesting, which is why people get them. They are considered a one trick pony in the world of compressors and in terms of being a quality piece of gear, is a misnomer.

[quote]slender (25/02/2011)[hr][quote]jpgetty2win (25/02/2011)[hr]sidechaining been going for a (love you) long time. the disco records used it and everything… which brings me to the conclusion mr daft punk might have been introduced to the advantages of sidechaining by his daddy discosuper producer daniel vangarde…?[/quote]

OOOH you cynic you :D[/quote]

me, jealous?

p-leeeeaaasseeee

:hehe:

jesus it must cost a fortune to clear all them samples!

how does he make any money off a track like that?!?!?

fair play like, it wouldnt have occurred to me to do half of that stuff

looks like someone’s been looking on wikipedia :wink: