Making Samples

Hey Everyone,br
br
Okay so I have a particular workflow issue that I’m rather frustrated with. I’m trying to resample sounds from my soft synths, ANA, Massive, etc. The actual resampling works fine and everything, but my file management is slowing me down. I wanted to use these samples in multiple projects but I can’t figure it out.br
br
I made 20 different complextro sounds, resampled them out, cropped them and renamed the clips from session view. Yet, when I go into the actual project folder, none of the samples are named correctly, some say audio-3 audio, or the track name like “bass sounds.” Bottom line is, not one of the clips I created was named correctly. br
br
I tried renaming, then that became just redundant, and eventually wouldn’t rename some samples. Then I was having a problem deleting samples because it said in use even though it wasn’t. I eventually just scrapped the whole thing in frustration.br
br
Making a sample bank is enough labor let alone file management problems. Can I get a pro tip to do this in a more effective way? Should I not sample through ableton? Tell me how to make a sample bank without giving myself a headache!br
br
I remember Phil Johnston say something about using audacity to make the samples in the complextro sound design course. Maybe we can get a tech tip about this? I’d really appreciate all the help!br
br
Thanks community,br
br
best,br
br
Calipanda

Sounds like you’re having some problems man! I would make an audio track for each sample all within, lets say an 8 bar loop. Put the loop indicators around the 8 bars and then Export. Now instead of just exporting the Master track click the pull down and select “All tracks” and now it’s going to export each track and what’s on it individually. You’ll have to go in the folder and rename them after but this will definitely keep them set and named in the folder :slight_smile:

Hey man,br
br
br
br
Thank you for the response! Yea, so I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel here. br
br
Let me tell you a bit about what I was doing. br
br
Put massive on channel 1. Create audio channel and renamed, i.e. Dirty Bass Sounds - E. Resample sound, crop part I like, rename clip, i.e. DBS01 - E and so forth. Make different channels for different categories of sounds. When finished, I saved the project and went into my sample folder to copy them out to a sample bank folder. br
br
Result? A mess of file names. I clearly did something wrong. I spent about 15 minutes matching the audio files that were in the project’s channels and gave up in discouragement. I spent more time matching a file then making sounds.br
br
I also noticed cropped clips in the project folder are created separate from full clips, which is okay I guess but the names were all wrong. Basically ableton gave every audio clip the channel’s name and not a clip name. Some were called audio-03 and etc. I had no way to identify the sound without listening to it and then matching that sound with ableton. Basically, I played each clip on the channel strip and match it to the sound in the folder, then rename it again.br
br
I hope I made myself clear and coherent. I know this is probably the least effective way to go about making a sample bank. br
br
Anyway, thank you for your thoughts! br
br
I’ll try what you said, but I think I’d like to see a tech tip on how Phil made his sample bank for the complextro sound design course with Audacity. Unless someone can explain how this is done, I have much frustration in my future!br
br
br
br
Best,br
br
br
br
Calipandabr

If you consolidate the clip it will rename the file to (apple+j)br
br
or to rename the file you have to go in to the audio fuctions where you can save the sound and rename it there.br
br
If you want to name them all fast you can use name manglerbr

Why dont you setup a folder on your hard drive, wherever, then add it to the left hand side with the add folder function. Make Samples, re name, drag and drop into your sample folder that is now in your browser list on the left?

Hey everyone,br
br
br
br
Sorry for the late reply. Moved my studio and finally got situated. br
br
br
br
Yea, I finally will have a chance to try out the export that James mentioned. I saw a video on dubspot about using the same exact method. Seems quick, clean and easy. I’ll keep you guys posted on my results, and if possible I’ll give some screenshots to show my progress.br
br
br
br
I have a pretty massive sample library that I’ve acquired over time, so my organization and efficiency is most important to me. It’s so time consuming making the sounds I want, and it’s very discouraging when I can’t simply find and load the sound a week later when I want to use it. I’m making progress though with this board’s help.br
br
br
br
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and helpful thoughts. br