Mistabishi caught faking a DJ set?

Drum and bass fans along with DJ purists have been sent into a digital tizzy today with forums and message boards sent on a ‘did he/didn’t he’ quest to discover the authenticity of a recent DJ set by DnB star Mistabishi. Questions were raised over whether or not Mistabishi’s DJ set was faked at the recent Basement party in Reading, England, when concerned fans noticed the producer appearing to mime to a pre-recorded mix.

As quoted on DnB portal DogsOnAcid, one fan who’d been present at the show was adamant that Mistabishi was putting on a phantom set, saying that from the balcony above the DJ booth they watched Mistabishi “play a mix CD on a CDJ and prick about pressing buttons for a whole hour!” The user added “He put vinyl on the decks then pretended to mix them…even though it was the same two vinyl the whole night! How do I know? Because I watched him take a vinyl off a turntable, put it in his bag, get it BACK out then put it on the other turn table and pretend to mix it!”

With the allegation out there on the interwebs, the floodgates opened between Mistabishi fans, the party promoters behind the event and Mistabishi himself, all offering their own accounts of the incident in a frenzied war of words like something out of Gossip Girl.

With disappointed fans expressing their distaste at the news – and others revealing similar experiences at other Mistabishi shows – the producer himself weighed in with his side of the story, claiming that he had originally been booked for a live show yet when he showed with his gear in hand, there was no room to set it up and he was forced to play whatever records he had on him. “They asked me to bring my hardware setup down…[but] there was no where for me to set it up,” he explained.

Refuting Mistabishi’s explanation, a member of the Basement crew took up the keyboard to offer their take on the event, airing a host of grievances they encountered working with Mistabishi.

“When he turned up on the night his rig was one Akai sampler, I asked him what he needed and he said a phono lead out of the back of a CDJ. We then found [it]…and he said ‘It’s fine I’ve sorted something else out,’” the user explained. “With regards to the space we could of quite easily moved the 3rd deck in the DJ box, which would of given him ample room for his rig.”

Clearly distressed by the turn of events, the promoter ended their statement by saying “We think that Mistabishi is a excellent producer but feel cheated on how he performed, we thought the pre made mix CDs was a myth. A lot of our residents was [sic] watching him above the DJ box and he was definitely pretending. Last night was our 5th birthday and for someone to do this on such an important night has left us speechless.”

It’s a pretty damning series of events, but with all the back-and-forth we’re still no closer to a conclusive outcome about the incident. Will Mistabishi be exonerated of the fakery claims or will he live in infamy alongside that other phantom DJ, Peter Hook? We’ll soon see…

I can’t comment on the Drum & Bass scene, but I’ve done a lot of Psy-Trance events and festivals over the last 3-4 years and sadly the above is pretty much rampant in this scene from what I’ve seen to date. At times when I was in view of the performance areas I could see they were ‘phantom sets’ (as it’s described).

Although things like this don’t bother me personally (I’m happy as long as the music is good), I can understand how promoters who pay for a live performance or set would feel cheated by something like this, considering they pretty much haven’t got what they paid for. Same for people who follow the DJ-side of things more often and are there to see the artist perform as well as enjoy the music.

One time at one of my gigs at The Cross in London, me and my friend noticed one of the “DJs” playing a Hed Kandi album for his whole set and pretending as if he was mixing it.

Did they take into consideration that Mitsubishi might have been using Time coded vinyl? In which case you only use the same 2 vinyls but change your music via a laptop.

Time coded vinyl certainly sounds like the obvious explanation. This whole thing sounds a bit like the Justice Midi controller “scandal”. Prob a straight forward explanation to the whole thing I reckon.

If he was using time coded vinyl he wouldn’t have had to take the records off the turn tables and put the same ones back on. Also most people know what Traktor & Serato look like on a laptop these days.

Wow… just shows you the level of skill from some DJ’s now a days doesn’t it…

Its pretty annoying really because you have all these budding DJ’s, all across the world waiting for a break and someone who has been in the business takes liberty and the pi33 and bangs on a mixed c.d… shocking really, the label should drop him to be honest! His rep will go down hill… rapidly!

Could have been time-coded like you say, i use Traktor PRO and time-coded CD’s and i used to get it all the time off people before they knew about it, but its a lot more acceptable now a days but im sure an avid clubber would be able to tell the difference :slight_smile:

wow I really don’t know how I gonna sleep tonight…

Haha!

His tunes are really interesting - Fair play.

But as a Human Being - I thought he was an absolute C O C K when he was in Computer Music doing the Vid.

LOLz!!! :smiley:

Whoah who the **** is Mistabishi? Also, “Phantom set” lolok

[quote]seanl (29/06/2010)[hr]wow I really don’t know how I gonna sleep tonight…[/quote]

lol…I love how the story made it sound as if there was some sort of tragedy where people had lost their lives.

On a more serious note, yes this does suck but don’t make out as if he has killed someone.

this is very common, less so in drum n bass though

Isn’t it just the same as dj’s playing the same set at every event they do pre planning it before hand rather than going with the flow of the dancefloor and mixing on the fly?

I know of many djs that only play one set for months. But really artists mime all the time its the in thing now isnt it lol

that is very common but at least they are still mixing, this sounds as if he just put a cd on, press play and mimed the rest

hadnt heard about the justice midi controller controversy before. that photo is hilarious…

hate to break it to you but a lot of guys are faking it these days.

I Guy II know used to play out every w/end & play mix CD’s.

They’d be skipping & everything. oh no!

Lol thats a fail when they are skipping