Mix down using the Pink Noise issue

first of all i have to say that the Tutorial of Tom Demac is just awesome . thanks SA you guys rock .

i was trying to follow the tutorial of Mr Demac where he uses the pink Noise to help you level your Mixdown . but when i downloaded the Pink Noise and check it on SPAM ( the spectrum analyzer from Voxengo ) . the diagram shows that the pink noise is backwards. in another words the ramp starts from around 14k and goes down to 50 k . i tought it might be the sound wave but even when i reverse the same still shows the higher volumes at 14k.

how mr Mac made his spectrum to show different? did i downloaded the wrong pink Noise ?lol

hopefully you guys help me out .

thanks ahead of time

I think you might of got the wrong pink noise try this Ten minutes of white noise, pink noise and Brownian noise : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I’ve heard a few ppl using the pink noise from the tom demac tut but 4 some reason i cant help to think its wrong. Dunno if its just me!

Every song i analyse within all th top genres of dance music dont look like the pink noise apart from the highest peak of the bass!

The pink noise starts high in the lows and continues to drop down.

All th tracks i analyse are thick bodied in th 200-800hz area and rise up as high as the bass, maybe even higher, going toward the 10kz range.

So im just a bit confused that all;)

[quote]georgekadar (14/03/2012)[hr]I’ve heard a few ppl using the pink noise from the tom demac tut but 4 some reason i cant help to think its wrong. Dunno if its just me!

Every song i analyse within all th top genres of dance music dont look like the pink noise apart from the highest peak of the bass!

The pink noise starts high in the lows and continues to drop down.

All th tracks i analyse are thick bodied in th 200-800hz area and rise up as high as the bass, maybe even higher, going toward the 10kz range.

So im just a bit confused that all;)[/quote]

the pink noise is just for the mix down stage.

the dynamics and volume would change once it starts going through mastering (compression + Limiting) - and all the tracks you are comparing will have all been mastered i assume!

I just went through a bunch of tracks… SHM, Hardwell, avicci etc. all have a very similar curve that matches up to the pink noise sample i have.

Ok, cool sonic :smiley:

I still dont think it does though :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of the tracks i analyse, including hardwell’s spaceman, afrojack’s cant stop me now and various big Big trance tunes seem to have so much body around 200hz-1khz. Its almost as if from 100hz to maybe 1/2khz is a straight line then itl bump up a bit as it goes through to the highs. Not dip watsoever. Sometimes itl have the smallest notch around 100-200hz.

How do you get this much “controlled” body in a track without it sounding harsh? Coz thats what is missing from mine i think!

[quote]phil johnston (14/03/2012)[hr]I just went through a bunch of tracks… SHM, Hardwell, avicci etc. all have a very similar curve that matches up to the pink noise sample i have.

[/quote]

I am starting to like you guys once again :D. this is what i am talking about . just great discussion about this issue. I see you guys are working hard . keep up the good work Phil and Bryan .

[quote]georgekadar (14/03/2012)[hr]Ok, cool sonic :smiley:

I still dont think it does though :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of the tracks i analyse, including hardwell’s spaceman, afrojack’s cant stop me now and various big Big trance tunes seem to have so much body around 200hz-1khz. Its almost as if from 100hz to maybe 1/2khz is a straight line then itl bump up a bit as it goes through to the highs. Not dip watsoever. Sometimes itl have the smallest notch around 100-200hz.

How do you get this much “controlled” body in a track without it sounding harsh? Coz thats what is missing from mine i think![/quote]

the Important thing is that in the Mixdown you need to just focus on making everything sound Clear and Crisp . the master ingenieer will tweak your Mix to sound the way you want it .

so just dont worry so much about it . use the pink noise as a model

I think its a great tecnique to use to give yourself perspective. Even if some tracks have more presence. It’s a good benchmark if you get lost in a mix.

just double checking so I am clear are we bringing down the volume of individual tracks until our ears can only just make out the sound through the pink noise?

Yeah or you can just A/B with the spectrum on.

[quote]phil johnston (16/03/2012)[hr]Yeah or you can just A/B with the spectrum on.

[/quote]

What does that mean?

Just compare the pink noise frequency curve to the curve of your track using the spectrum analyser plugin.

I found this tech tip to be brilliant. It’s bizarre how different my end mix was to how it started. Much quieter but I could definately hear the individual sounds nicely.

After doing the pink noise test should I add a limiter or anything to bring the overall volume up or would that defeat the object?

You should master as normal afterwards.

this is purely to help with mixes.

Thanks Phil

I apologise if I’m being silly, I haven’t been producing for very long.

So I done the pink noise tutorial and the results were fantastic BUT

What do you do the in the case of if you have automation on your kick for example and you lower the track volume of the kick (before a breakdown say) and then…

you do the pink noise method on your kick track volume but its not going to work because the automation will overide that level you wanted for the pink noise mix down.

I hope this makes sense and somebody can answer this for me. Oh this is my first post also, Hi! :slight_smile:

It’s a good idea to use the utility plugins gain for automation. Then keep your main faders clear for mixing.

Ahhh, the penny drops. Thanks Phil