Mix Gel Compressor

Hey Guys

Having just watched the Depp house tut I see Phil(?) using a mix gel compressor on the mastering.

So I pick up the manual to learn more on this new wonder and vola! diddly squat info. Google produced the same.

Anyone know of anywhere online I can get more info on this and the other types or give more in depth to why this type of compressor was used.

Cheers

Jay

how different is that Compressor than others i ?

maybe i need to purchase that compressor as long that is does something different than other compressor :smiley:

Just a preset in live that helps bring out your track in the master simple as:L

hey Jay

there is a video about it. it might be the mastering one. but i remember what they were saying that all it was was an eq and a compressor on the master to gel everything together while he worked to get an idea of what it would sound like. This is a general idea and not the standard by any means. You dont NEED to do it.

It’s really just a slow release compressor set to RMS… It has the effect of rasing the volume of the lower parts of the track and when stuff kicks back in gives the feeling of something loud just happened.

I first heard of this type of compression on a chemical bros track… Think it was hey boy hey girl.

There’s a riff in the break and when it kicked in the riff dropped in volume… Made it sond more dramatic when it kicked in.

Means you can theoretically go lower with your quiet bits and the perceived dynamics are larger.

In studies of musical performances the ones with more dynamic range where perceived to be more emotional.

So basically you are trying to create a larger perceived dynamic range while keeping the actual dynamics in check.

Thanks for the replies chaps!

Any of you know where I can get more info on the different Ableton native compressors?

Phil

• having gone back and rewatched the mastering vids Im wondering why in the freware version you didnt in some cases use the native plugs in Ableton? Do you not rate them ie the limiter and multiband comp?

Also, i wish you all the success with your new(er) venture.

Would it be a good idea for SA to look to partner up with plugin manufacturers in the result of discounts for members (cough izotope:)) Maybe you have already looked into this or its on the radar for the future?

thanks

J

video was done before they where available

I never even knew about this preset before the hard dance/deep house tutorials and now I’m using it in all my master chains it’s awesome!

Most compressors have a preset for this and it will usually be called BUS GEL or BUS GLUE

usually fast attack, auto release with a 2:1 ratio and you just pull the threshold down until you get a couple of db reduction.

I liked the effect it had on my latest. Used it, probably will look to it first before I add any other compressors on from now on.

can u ue the mix gel on your drums? or is it just for master?

dude there is no rules when making music. u can use a Compressor on your many Buss but as long as it sounds right to you .just practice and try what works best for you

Hey Phil, im trying to get the right settings for the mix gel comperssor for use in your Prog house tutorial for which there is no section on mastering. In the prog house tut, should i set the threshold while playing the break (quietest part) or figure the threshhold using the louder parts of the track?

[quote]Darthbrooklyn (11/01/2011)[hr]Hey Phil, im trying to get the right settings for the mix gel comperssor for use in your Prog house tutorial for which there is no section on mastering. In the prog house tut, should i set the threshold while playing the break (quietest part) or figure the threshhold using the louder parts of the track?[/quote]

i would personally set it during the main part of your track so that you are starting to get some gain reduction