Mixdown Techniques 101

I like the “how to make videos” but I really want to learn more about Mixdown Techniques for diffenrt styles of music and an explanation as to why your are mixing that way .

Trance Mixdown Techniques 101

Drum and bass Mixdown Techniques 101

Hip hop Mixdown Techniques 101

Ambien Mixdown Techniques 101

House Mixdown Techniques 101

DUB Mixdown Techniques 101

hardcore Mixdown Techniques 101

Deep house Mixdown Techniques 101

Drums Mixdown Techniques 101

Guitar Mixdown Techniques 101

Piano Mixdown Techniques 101

Vocal Mixdown Techniques 101

And so on

also will SA have live Cam where you teach on the fly ? So we can ask questions like a class room ?

[quote]Salvation (12/06/2011)[hr]I like the “how to make videos” but I really want to learn more about Mixdown Techniques for diffenrt styles of music and an explanation as to why your are mixing that way .

And so on[/quote]

Is that all :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]slender (12/06/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (12/06/2011)[hr]…
And so on[/quote]

Is that all :P[/quote]

Maybe someone else could do a more complete list :ermm:

[quote]ICN (12/06/2011)[hr].

And so on[/quote]

Maybe someone else coulddo a more complete list :ermm:[/quote]

LOL now that tickled me :slight_smile:

[quote]slender (12/06/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (12/06/2011)[hr]I like the “how to make videos” but I really want to learn more about Mixdown Techniques for diffenrt styles of music and an explanation as to why your are mixing that way .

And so on[/quote]

For now … :smiley:

I’m on it… :P:D

(just kidding)

J

[quote]ICN (12/06/2011)[hr].

And so on[/quote]

Maybe someone else coulddo a more complete list :ermm:[/quote]

mixdown techniques 101:

Its simple really

USE YOUR EARS!

[quote]gofunk (12/06/2011)[hr]mixdown techniques 101:

Its simple really

USE YOUR EARS![/quote]

I know that part that is why i ask for specific mixdown techniques explanations as to why we should mix like that before mastering .

i’m just kidding mate

But I fail to understand what your looking for.

Specifics please?

[quote]gofunk (12/06/2011)[hr]i’m just kidding mate

Specifics please?[/quote]

My weak point is getting the kick to sound right … I produced a few tracks well loops to be mastered , just to see what will happen . End results seem to have odd outcomes

Kick was light in the mix but mastering pulled it out and the kick over takes all sounds . Bass felt heavy in the mix but mastering made it sound very punchy almost to punchy. Pad levels sound normal in the mixdown yet mastering made them to loud . So from mixing to mastering I am doing something wrong even though the mix sounds good .

note :How to better understand studio monitors ?

Some say make the bass and kick level and others say Mix all sounds under the kick yet when I mix all sounds under the kick , the track feels muddy even after I cut the kick from 40 down .

Synths like SAWS how to work with this type of synth . Airy like Synths how to work with this synth .

When I mix my Drums I can make them sound mint no problems in that area at all .

[quote]Salvation (12/06/2011)[hr][quote]gofunk (12/06/2011)[hr]i’m just kidding mate

My weak point is getting the kick to sound right … I produced a few tracks well loops to be mastered , just to see what will happen . End results seem to have odd outcomes

Kick was light in the mix but mastering pulled it out and the kick over takes all sounds . Bass felt heavy in the mix but mastering made it sound very punchy almost to punchy. Pad levels sound normal in the mixdown yet mastering made them to loud . So from mixing to mastering I am doing something wrong even though the mix sounds good .

Some say make the bass and kick level and others say Mix all sounds under the kick yet when I mix all sounds under the kick , the track feels muddy even after I cut the kick from 40 down .

Synths like SAWS how to work with this type of synth . Airy like Synths how to work with this synth .

When I mix my Drums I can make them sound mint no problems in that area at all .[/quote]

first of all dont concern yourself with mastering. who is doing the mastering? you?

either way I never bother with mastering - leave that to the pros and lables as its a completely different skill set.

what are you producing when you have this issue? what kind of music?

I personally dont do much to my kicks, a little eq at final mix down stage but I use my headphones and VRM box to sort the really subby areas because monitors only go to 40hz.

I also (if needed) use waves L2 on my kicks or qudrafuzz depenging on the kicks but you dont need theses.

Have you seen my EQ tuts? might help…

Are you using pro monitors or something else?

You are really going wrong worrying about mastering - 1st thing you need to do is stop that.

also make sure your kick is in mono.

spilt the bass up into layers like in my eq tut so you can have more control over each area - you need to move the bass out the way of the kick under say 120hz for example

[quote]gofunk (12/06/2011)[hr]also make sure your kick is in mono.

spilt the bass up into layers like in my eq tut so you can have more control over each area - you need to move the bass out the way of the kick under say 120hz for example[/quote]

Yeah I have been using one kick and then finding a nice bass synth not really layering so I guess this may be the problem . I am producing trance and wanting to get into brake beats . Still not sure what DAW I want to use yet its up in the air from Live or Cubase

Right now Live is easy to Sidechain and set up midi but Cubase handles my vsts a lot better then live so I don’t know . Also Live sounds Crisper and Cubase sounds a bit raw but in a good way . I think if I could learn how to Sidechain reverbs/delays I would move into Cubase . I like how I can split two Vsts in live using the instruments rack , play bass low key and a synth high keys .

[quote]gofunk (12/06/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (12/06/2011)[hr][quote]gofunk (12/06/2011)[hr]i’m just kidding mate

When I mix my Drums I can make them sound mint no problems in that area at all .[/quote]

first of all dont concern yourself with mastering. who is doing the mastering? you?

either way I never bother with mastering - leave that to the pros and lables as its a completely different skill set.

what are you producing when you have this issue? what kind of music?

I personally dont do much to my kicks, a little eq at final mix down stage but I use my headphones and VRM box to sort the really subby areas because monitors only go to 40hz.

I also (if needed) use waves L2 on my kicks or qudrafuzz depenging on the kicks but you dont need theses.

Have you seen my EQ tuts? might help…

Are you using pro monitors or something else?

You are really going wrong worrying about mastering - 1st thing you need to do is stop that.[/quote]

I will try … And yeah il checkout your tuts

What you have described Salvation sounds more like a problem with room acoustics than anything else. Do instruments/sounds pop in and out if you listen to them in different positions in the room you mix in?

[quote]Deathhands (12/06/2011)[hr]What you have described Salvation sounds more like a problem with room acoustics than anything else. Do instruments/sounds pop in and out if you listen to them in different positions in the room you mix in?[/quote]

yes …

I will take a few photos of my room tomorrow and see if you guys can help me . I could have my studio monitors setup wrong .

There are some tutorials on acoustic treatment in the SA training videos look at these they will help you in getting the gist of the problem.