Mixing & Mastering - Creating Wide Mixes with Protoculture / 702

Creating Wide Mixes with Protoculture

View Course

Sonic Academy welcomes back Nate Raubenheimer aka Protoculture once again this week for an in-depth masterclass on how to create wider mixes in your tracks.

Over these 15 videos, Nate runs through the theory, methods and tools used to successfully get that ‘wall-of-sound’ feel and shows us that there’s a whole lot more to it than just panning left and right!

From using micro delays, reverb and pitch to clever use of EQ and frequencies we check out the right methods to use on the different types of sounds whether it be percussion, pads, vocals, lead synths or bass lines. Nate also showcases a multitude of plugins available to help you achieve the right results and finishes off with some practical examples and problem solving when it comes to phase issues.

This is yet another course where you’re getting expert and pro knowledge from someone who’s tried, tested and learnt his craft over the years and passing it on so you can take your skills in mixing to the next level and make your tracks shine.

Not one to miss!

Here we go.

1 Like

Nice tutorial !

1 Like

Some really excellent value here as always from Nate, especially in some of those practical examples! Thank you!

1 Like

Another great technical tutorial, took a lot from this as always - thanks :]

1 Like

Excellent tutorial, very detailed and well explained. Thank you Nate.

1 Like

Great stuff as usual from Nate, exhaustive & detailed practical sections adding a lot to the tools & techniques shown in this tutorial.

1 Like

Super cool. Thank you! One advice please: whenever you are speaking: stop clicking and selecting stuffs on and on… it’s annoying :slight_smile:

1 Like

very useful

1 Like

very good in depth course thanks

1 Like

Great course

1 Like

worth it

1 Like

Protoculture/Shadow Chronicles is the most technical and in-depth instructor I’ve came across so far. He is full of knowledge and tips, often details that other instructors/books neglect. He continues to knock it out of park with this tutorial.

really nice tutorials as always!! you rock it!!! keep them coming :))
i’ve got a question…that i can’t sort to figure out…
how and why we want to choose using M/S or just LCR techniques ??
I mean…we are always willing to want to have mono compatibility blabla because some shitty clubs have whole mono soundsystems not just the low freqs… so…why wouldn’t we want to just always use M/S in electronic music producing ?? i’m a bit confused :))

again…thanks for your time and help!! really really nice all your tutorials!!!
have a nice day

Hi Nate,

I’m a really big fan of your music and tutorials. I also have most of your preset packs as well.

I liked the Progressive Trance one so much that I recreated everything in Logic from scratch. It was quite amazing to hear my version sound just like the released track! I learned quite bit doing that. Thank you.

I’d like to suggest a tutorial on saturation/distortion. Then you can bring out the big boys; VSM-3 and HG-2 :scream:

Love it, my favorite in depth guy lately!

Hey Cliff, thanks… good idea, will take it up with the guys and see if its a course they’d be interested in.

Hey, not sure I understand entirely but…

The whole mono compatibilty thing is more to check for phase issues rather than being compatible with nightclub sound systems. It used to be a problem but I doubt you’ll find many nightclubs now with mono setups. M/S isn’t really an alternative per se… even in M/S you’re still converting back to a stereo format when you render to a wav file. There’s no playback systems that work entirely in M/S… its merely a process that split your side and mid content so you can adjust them accordingly, then converts them back to stereo again so the LCR techniques are still very relevant.

Thanks, appreciate it :wink:

Awsome!