Monitor choice

hey guys

maybe a dumb question , but at the minute im just using stereo speakers in my studio

on a limited budget would i be better to buy a fairly cheap set of monitors such as

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40

or buy a single KRK RP5 G2 and then save for a second one

using my stereo speakers for stereo imaging and the KRK for proper sound evaluation

Save and get a pair of something rather than a single!  As we mix in a stereo feild a single monitor would be as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd! :slight_smile:

yeah but i need them pretty sharpish

was planning to use my current speakers for the stereo full spectrum and use the good monitor for EQing basically

The problem with getting cheap monitors is that you are just going to want to replace them fairly soon, and then you will wish that you hadn’t waisted you money (I speak from experience :wink: ). The problem with one monitor is it is only half of what you need.

If I were you I would look at a good pair of studio headphone, the best you can afford. Mix on the headphones and check with you HiFi and save up for some good monitors. Even when you have your monitors the headphone will be useful.

These are in the same price range:

Audio Technica ATH-M50S

Or these are a bit cheaper:

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

You get a much better frequency response than you would with a small cone monitor speaker.

[quote]TheAnt (24/01/2011)[hr]

Audio Technica ATH-M50S

[/quote]

I can vouch for these, great headphones. Never tried the sennheisers though.

Well I have had the KRK’s for a week now and only just getting used to them I have a pair of SRH 440 which I absoultly love really comfy and you can now get for 80 quid

[quote]slender (24/01/2011)[hr]Well I have had the KRK’s for a week now…[/quote]

Paul, they 6’s or 8’s? What do you make of them?

[quote]djc4 (24/01/2011)[hr][quote]slender (24/01/2011)[hr]Well I have had the KRK’s for a week now…[/quote]

Paul, they 6’s or 8’s? What do you make of them?[/quote]

Actually I’m poor so went for the 5’s - well all I can say is that they have opened my eyes to mixing - as I only used my headphones before, its just a matter of getting used to them but ask me in a week or so and I may be able to give more insight :wink:

Saying that I am very pleased with my purchase as I know my mixdown will improve with practise :slight_smile: