Mono vs Stereo

What’s everyones opinion on mixing your track? Should you do it all in mono or in stereo and check what it sounds like in mono or not do mono at all?br
br
I see that laidback luke does all his productions in mono.

Is that why all laidback lukes productions are **** though? :wink: br
br
Sorry couldn’t resist.br
br
To answer your question, I mix in stereo at the moment but having read a few things on here recently I may try mixing in mono and see if it works for me.

haha Laidback Luke isn’t too bad…Yeah i always do stereo too but saw interviews with sound engineers and they said you should reference mono and most nightclubs have mono speakers supposedly so best to know what your track sounds like in mono.

You should always at least check your mix in mono I think.nbsp; /PPAlso you have to bare in mind that when you’re standing in a club, unless you’re in the sweetpot, you’ll probably mainly hear what’s coming from 1 speaker.nbsp; /PPWhat I tend to do is work out the arrangement and first draft mixdown in stereo.nbsp; Then switch to mono and panning the sounds that don’t seem to be enough in the mix a bit back to the center untill they’re coming through nicely and eq-ing a lot.nbsp; And then start switching back and forth from stereo to mono until I find it somewhat sounds equally as good in mono as in stereo.nbsp; Unfortunately you’re always going to have to sacrifice some of the huge panorama you’ve built up initially, but I think in most cases, you won’t get away with an awesome stereomix that sounds like absolute cr*p in mono just because you can never know how it’s going to be played (in the club, a big festival, some 15 year old boom box on a building site… :wink: )/PPYou also have to consider this: mono is much more unforgiving fornbsp;eq-ingnbsp;and fitting things in the mix than stereo is.nbsp; If you findnbsp;two soundsnbsp;clashing in stereo you just pan them away from each other, problem solved.nbsp; In mono you don’t have this easy way out.nbsp;You’re going to have to decide which sound you think is the most important and try to eq both of them to make them work together without butchering the hell out of their frequecyspectrum.nbsp; It’s putting your hearing and eq-ing skills more to work.nbsp; /PPOne final thought: many professionaly produced tracks only have the reverb, delays, and some gimmicks spread out around the centre image of thenbsp;track.nbsp; I think it’s most obvious in trance, but Daft Punk plays this game as well.

[quote]PaulRyan17 (24/01/2014)[hr]haha Laidback Luke isn’t too bad…Yeah i always do stereo too but saw interviews with sound engineers and they said you should reference mono and most nightclubs have mono speakers supposedly so best to know what your track sounds like in mono.[/quote]br
br
That pogo tune is everything that’s wrong with music. Having said that, he played an ok set when i saw him in Amnesia a couple of years back, so I’ll let him off!br
br

I don’t use mono to much for referencing but I always use the fabfilter multi-band to put like 0-100 hz in mono just sounds better having them dead center imo