Music Technology Degrees

Hi all,

Im in the process of applying for uni, was wondering if anyone could give me advise/thier opinion on music technogly course.

i.e, best places to apply, do you think its worth while, etc.

Your input will be greatly appericated :slight_smile:

Thanks,

J

I think tbh you wanna check out all the different things, like going to uni may not be what you want, there are a lot of establishments doing music production courses and some actually are accredited by different unis.

I personally went to the Manchester Midi School and was one of the best experiences ive had education wise. You could check out the biggest boys in the land and check SAE, or Point Blank in London.

Didnt SA also have a school at one point?

Trouble is a lot of those private schools cost a small fortune - plus you don;t get a student loan - oh hold on that may be a good thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah SA had a school but I think it was for youngsters

In the states there are tons of programs and degrees that deal with Audio and Recording Technology.

you can get a Bachelors(can take up to 4 years but if you do AA first maybe 3 years), AAS(2 year), [Certificate(1 year) or Diploma(semester) which are more specific programs]

and there are different ways you can go with each

Recording (pro studio work)

Broadcasting(Radio or TV)

Cinematics

Videogames

just to name a few

Certain schools that have stellar programs include

LA Recording School (very unique school but very pricey as well, studio work cinematics)

CRAS (Best school in my opinion) former students have hundreds of grammy nominations and wins

NorthEast Audio and Recording Tech (only problem is the place is in the middle of Nebraska, this school does AA degrees but they set it up so you can transfer to a university to get bachelors/masters/doctorates(if you really wanna devote 10 years to your life at school)

Full Sail (videogames and cinematics are best choices here)

Art Institute of California (videogames and cinematics)

Dubspot online or in New York(certificate programs in tons of areas of electronic music)

hope this all helps

He lives in Belfast Walshy :slight_smile:

Dubspot online or Point Blank online would be a stellar choice then for production and sound design.

I’m not sure about PB but with Dubspot they have instructors that come in who have had a big impact in the electronic music industry.

Note: these are technical schools that can get pricey depending on how many programs you want to enroll in

I got a student loan for it…

Was a few years ago mind and i know students have been bitch slapped hard as of late…

http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Default.aspx

£100 job done :wink:

Maybe being older and not so wiser - I would not do a music tech degree - do a degree in something else so you have something to fall back on

I am not sure just because you have a music tech degree that you would find work that easily and if its purely for your own productions sure you will learn a lot but not sure if you could not learn it yourself or go on a few courses online or attend

Actually watching the news any degree seems a waste of time atm :crazy:

Oh don’t mean to be negative - just my opinion :slight_smile:

Yeah but even people with shall we call em normal degrees coming out cant get a job…

You know much about the Berklee Music Online courses Walshy?

[quote]Walshyyy (16/11/2011)[hr]In the states there are tons of programs and degrees that deal with Audio and Recording Technology.

you can get a Bachelors(can take up to 4 years but if you do AA first maybe 3 years), AAS(2 year), [Certificate(1 year) or Diploma(semester) which are more specific programs]

Cinematics

Videogames

just to name a few

LA Recording School (very unique school but very pricey as well, studio work cinematics)

CRAS (Best school in my opinion) former students have hundreds of grammy nominations and wins

NorthEast Audio and Recording Tech (only problem is the place is in the middle of Nebraska, this school does AA degrees but they set it up so you can transfer to a university to get bachelors/masters/doctorates(if you really wanna devote 10 years to your life at school)

Dubspot online or in New York(certificate programs in tons of areas of electronic music)

hope this all helps

[/quote]

[quote]jjdejong0 (16/11/2011)[hr]Yeah but even people with shall we call em normal degrees coming out cant get a job…[/quote]

I did say that in 3rd paragraph :wink:

[quote]slender (16/11/2011)[hr]Maybe being older and not so wiser - I would not do a music tech degree - do a degree in something else so you have something to fall back on

I am not sure just because you have a music tech degree that you would find work that easily and if its purely for your own productions sure you will learn a lot but not sure if you could not learn it yourself or go on a few courses online or attend

Actually watching the news any degree seems a waste of time atm :crazy:

Oh don’t mean to be negative - just my opinion :)[/quote]

This is exactly what I thought as well. The problem with this type of degree is that that are more people doing them than there are jobs. Same with media studies.

I think it really depends on what you want out of it, I don’t think they are just gonna be like this is exactly how you make dance floor bangers! Lol it’s more like learning the software, recording principles etc as a whole.

Yeah i would defo do a degree in software programming if i was to do it over. Having money to buy stuff is a big help.

[quote]MOZZATRON (16/11/2011)[hr]You know much about the Berklee Music Online courses Walshy?

[quote]Walshyyy (16/11/2011)[hr]In the states there are tons of programs and degrees that deal with Audio and Recording Technology.

Cinematics

Videogames

just to name a few

hope this all helps

[/quote][/quote]

I do know a lot about it and i feel the other programs i mention are geared more towards success in the recording and production industry. Berklee has a great program but I feel it lacks in the teaching aspect.

The Northeast program, i actually visited the campus about a week ago, they set their program up so you know all the tools you are using in a professional studio and teach you how to run a studio. They work with Recording, TV and radio broadcasting, setting up and running live shows for all types of music. They have job placement if you need it after finishing the program. Tuition is also very cheap even for international students. I may be biased because I am planning on going there next fall but I feel it’s a great option if you wanna get your feet wet with everything in the music industry.

CRAS is very similar but tuition is expensive although they put out the highest amount of grammy nominees every year for work with Capitol Records, Sony/EMI and others that I can’t really remember now and don’t want to look up.

BTW Tommy Four Seven said in an interview that he took some audio and recording tech classes somewhere and it helped with his overall production quality, his album Primate was made solely by recording sounds from banging different objects in his studio and recording vocals then layering effects.

For me, I really want to be well rounded in any situation going into the music industry. And that gives me something to fall back on if something doesn’t work out.

Cheers for the info

Northesast sounds good although i’m in Sydney and moving is out of the question for me, so an online course is what i would be looking at. Was thinking of enrolling with Berklee for their sound design for computer games course. Not really expecting to get a career out of it, kind of looking to do something on the side. My brother in law has a successful design company and they make loads of apps for Iphone/ipad

Any advice on this subject you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Walshy

[quote]Walshyyy (17/11/2011)[hr][quote]MOZZATRON (16/11/2011)[hr]You know much about the Berklee Music Online courses Walshy?

Cinematics

Videogames

just to name a few

hope this all helps

[/quote][/quote]

I do know a lot about it and i feel the other programs i mention are geared more towards success in the recording and production industry. Berklee has a great program but I feel it lacks in the teaching aspect.

The Northeast program, i actually visited the campus about a week ago, they set their program up so you know all the tools you are using in a professional studio and teach you how to run a studio. They work with Recording, TV and radio broadcasting, setting up and running live shows for all types of music. They have job placement if you need it after finishing the program. Tuition is also very cheap even for international students. I may be biased because I am planning on going there next fall but I feel it’s a great option if you wanna get your feet wet with everything in the music industry.

CRAS is very similar but tuition is expensive although they put out the highest amount of grammy nominees every year for work with Capitol Records, Sony/EMI and others that I can’t really remember now and don’t want to look up.

BTW Tommy Four Seven said in an interview that he took some audio and recording tech classes somewhere and it helped with his overall production quality, his album Primate was made solely by recording sounds from banging different objects in his studio and recording vocals then layering effects.

For me, I really want to be well rounded in any situation going into the music industry. And that gives me something to fall back on if something doesn’t work out.[/quote]

For out of state at Northeast, the whole cost per semester is around $6,000 US Dollars that includes tuition, books, room and board, and food at their cafeteria (which i tried and its just like going to a 4 star buffet) I’m sure international doesn’t cost a whole lot more than that. Only problem is the campus is in the middle of fcuking nowhere.

sound designers for videogames are always needed, plus its a huge industry, way too many jobs out there. the only thing is that one would definitely need the schooling for one of those.

Whatever you decide to do, its a solid choice there has never been so many jobs in the music industry (you just need to have a degree, which many are too fcuking lazy to get off their futons)

Great Topic!