Must-have starter Ableton plugins for the newbie?

Greetings!

I would like to get started creating music in the following genres:

1. hard dance / trance
  2. dirty electro
  3. dubsteb

I would appreciate any recommendations as my Ableton Live 7 install (PC) is pretty bare-bones, it does not include any synths or plugins.

I have been told, for example that sylenth and nexus are must-haves…

NI Massive is used alot in Dubstep - but not the easiest to begin with - Sylynth is a great all rounder - Nexus seems to be the trance must have but qute pricey

But f your new, why not find a free synth vst to learn, just google

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Firstly nothing is a must, every DAW these days is more than capable at making every genre of dance music.

and secondly you’ve joined the best forum to ask :slight_smile:

^^^ What Jon said.

But Slenders recommendations are spot on also.

I run Ableton suite which alone has enough synth power for anyone’s needs (Analog Operator etc).

But I also have Sylenth cos it’s amazing, and will be getting Massive also as when I was on a PC that was my goto ‘nasty’ synth.

What the others said.

Sylenth for all around. Massive for Dub & Electro Stuff. Nexus for trance.

They are all great synths that wont kill your bank. And they are pretty easy 2 use.

My studio partner has massive and Predator for making chunky house up to hard dance. Personally don’t like the sounds of Predator but MASSIVE is a monster. even with the presets.

I would say from experience and being a almost newbie to get the most out of it you need to understand some of the programming side of things to get what you want.

U-he ACE is one professional, sexy sounding monster of a synth but you’d better be packing some big hairy balled processor and a **** load of RAM! :w00t:

Massive is the standard for dubstep because of the macros (i think) and for electro, I would go with DCAM. Other then that, Sylenth is the only other one that I would get.

If i was starting again I would probally start with this

サービス終了のお知らせ

its a free plugin that sounds pretty great with lots of presets available online.

I started about 8 months ago and when you start buying stuff with loads of modulation and lfos its very easy to get lost. So just try to master something basic!

Another pretty awesome synth, which can create almost everything is Zebra, though it def is not a beginner’s synth

[quote]gavisthename (06/10/2010)[hr]U-he ACE is one professional, sexy sounding monster of a synth but you’d better be packing some big hairy balled processor and a **** load of RAM! :w00t:[/quote]

really the demo was very light on my cpu (mac)

VERY helpful responses, thank you all!